Lalipat
Topic Author

Wailer's Hold

Wed 27 Apr 2022, 14:42

The dwarf clan of the Meromannians' old high seat Wailer's Hold was notorious for its strong fortifications. The disappointment was all the greater when the clan was forced to flee the city and let it fall under Zygofer's control. However, the misgrown and the rust brothers never managed to get through the sealed gate that guards the city's rich mine. The gate is said to be open only by the royal key inherited through the succession of the Meromannians. Now that the Blood Mist has eased, the current holder and heir to the Meromannian throne, Tormund Halfhand, has promised to bring his tormented clan back to their home to wake up the sleeping mine and rebuild the city. He thinks he is returning to a desolate place, but adventurers visiting the ruins talk about sounds from the underworld, about echoing blows in the caves down there, as if the mine were haunted by the clan's betrayed ancestors.

I have published an adventure site for Wailer's Hold, inspired by several hooks in the core game. The adventurers will meet dwarfs, ghosts, drakewyrms, whiners, abyss worms, more dwarfs and maybe even a god.

Dowload the adventure site here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/39 ... id=1244866.

Konungr

Re: Wailer's Hold

Wed 27 Apr 2022, 20:26

I have a question in relation to this. What do you mean a god?

One of my favorite things with Forbidden Lands is that the Gods are all unknown entities. They are matter of faith not fact. Placing a "god" shifts that dynamic.

JohanR

Wed 27 Apr 2022, 22:54

He references Tincturus, Page 90 PHB:
The wyrms are even said to have a primitive religion in which they regard the rainbow as their god and ancestor, Tincturus.
While I also don't really add gods into the mix, except as something that can also be explained as something else, like sure you can have a backstory with visions of your god (but can you be sure its not something else luring you with the vision of a god? and can you be sure you are not just insane? or that it simply was a dream?), any significant powerful being could be though of as a god. So you could always run with that.

This supplement was also talked about here in Swedish, and I'm happy it also got an English version.

Lalipat
Topic Author

Thu 28 Apr 2022, 15:51

I have a question in relation to this. What do you mean a god?

One of my favorite things with Forbidden Lands is that the Gods are all unknown entities. They are matter of faith not fact. Placing a "god" shifts that dynamic.
You have a point! The adventure site is inspired by the core books, but it may be in conflict with how some values.

As JohanR writes, the god I am referring to is Tincturus. Instead of him being the rainbow I have made him a spirit resting in luminous stones and appearing from them when the weather is humid and sunny. Whether he should be considered a god or not is up to the beholder, but there are plenty of ghosts, as well as magic, in the Forbidden Lands. He could be considered a result of such things, although worshipped as a god by the drakewyrms.

Lalipat
Topic Author

Thu 28 Apr 2022, 15:54

This supplement was also talked about here in Swedish, and I'm happy it also got an English version.
Thanks! Have you played it yet? I remember you had some interesting elaboration of the site going on.

JohanR

Thu 28 Apr 2022, 21:35

No, but they are close to the site and in the next session it will be slightly introduced to them.

I don't know if they will stay on their current site, travel to Wailer's Hold or go for Eye of the Rose next. They are all likley options.
What will happen is that they are claiming a fortress (Black Rose Keep, another fan made supplement) on the other site of the river on the path of the Meromannians (the full army will arrive later), but if they don't solve the Wailer's Hold issue, it could get ugly as the dwarves likley will claim their new found Stronghold to become their own staging base. Their vanguard will steal/reclaim some of their wall stones next session in order to build a bridge, so we will see how ugly that gets... on the other hand, they would have real usage of that bridge, so they might be slightly ok with that.

They also think they solved the riddle to Koracia (and actually did), after asking some villages about if they knew a place know for a mill and they mentioned the lake.. and do have business there (one is a druid) as well.. and Wailer's Hold is in the right direction for that. For the riddle location to be actually more solvable I added these lines (currentpattern or someone gave that idea) and it is those lines that made them solve it..:

Between Flow's mill
And the heights of Clay's Body
Dive into the Raven’s heart

...so we will see.. we play rarely though.. everyone is so occupied all the time :/

Lalipat
Topic Author

Thu 28 Apr 2022, 22:19

No, but they are close to the site and in the next session it will be slightly introduced to them.

I don't know if they will stay on their current site, travel to Wailer's Hold or go for Eye of the Rose next. They are all likley options.
What will happen is that they are claiming a fortress (Black Rose Keep, another fan made supplement) on the other site of the river on the path of the Meromannians (the full army will arrive later), but if they don't solve the Wailer's Hold issue, it could get ugly as the dwarves likley will claim their new found Stronghold to become their own staging base. Their vanguard will steal/reclaim some of their wall stones next session in order to build a bridge, so we will see how ugly that gets... on the other hand, they would have real usage of that bridge, so they might be slightly ok with that.

They also think they solved the riddle to Koracia (and actually did), after asking some villages about if they knew a place know for a mill and they mentioned the lake.. and do have business there (one is a druid) as well.. and Wailer's Hold is in the right direction for that. For the riddle location to be actually more solvable I added these lines (currentpattern or someone gave that idea) and it is those lines that made them solve it..:

Between Flow's mill
And the heights of Clay's Body
Dive into the Raven’s heart

...so we will see.. we play rarely though.. everyone is so occupied all the time :/
Cool! I recognize the adjustments of the riddle from currentpattern, yes! They are probably for the better.

It is really fun to read about how you are using my adventure sites in your campaign. I’d love to read further updates!