Duncan70
Topic Author

Skill Rename - Enhearten???

Tue 29 Jun 2021, 13:00

As a native English speaker changing the skill Inspire to Enhearten feels like a strange choice.

Enhearten is a really clunky word, where Inspire was clear.

so, I'm curious why Inspire got the morgul blade in favour of Enhearten (*choke* *cough*).

Anybody know..?

HunterGreen

Re: Skill Rename - Enhearten???

Tue 29 Jun 2021, 13:06

My guess is because the word "Inspire" is too close to the "Inspiration" that is being used in other places as a die roll mechanic.
TOR/AiME Discord: https://discord.me/theonering
Narvi, the TOR bot for Discord: https://bitbucket.org/HawthornThistleberry/narvi/

Duncan70
Topic Author

Tue 29 Jun 2021, 13:11

My guess is because the word "Inspire" is too close to the "Inspiration" that is being used in other places as a die roll mechanic.
That does sound possible, actually. But not Enheartening lol.

Mattcapiche

Tue 29 Jun 2021, 13:18

I'm fairly sure I remember there being something mentioned about copyright (specifically with 1e) and there were a few tiny little things that had to be changed because of it.

Mythicos

Tue 29 Jun 2021, 16:01

‘The Corsairs of Umbar!’ men shouted. ‘The Corsairs of Umbar! Look! The Corsairs of Umbar are coming! So Belfalas is taken, and the Ethir, and Lebennin is gone. The Corsairs are upon us! It is the last stroke of doom!’

And some without order, for none could he found to command them in the City, ran to the bells and tolled the alarm; and some blew the trumpets sounding the retreat. ‘Back to the walls!’ they cried. ‘Back to the walls! Come back to the City before all are overwhelmed!’ But the wind that sped the ships blew all their clamour away.

The Rohirrim indeed had no need of news or alarm. All too well they could see for themselves the black sails. For Éomer was now scarcely a mile from the Harlond, and a great press of his first foes was between him and the haven there, while new foes came swirling behind, cutting him off from the Prince. Now he looked to the River, and hope died in his heart, and the wind that he had blessed he now called accursed. But the hosts of Mordor were enheartened, and filled with a new lust and fury they came yelling to the onset.

Stern now was Éomer’s mood, and his mind clear again. He let blow the horns to rally all men to his banner that could come thither; for he thought to make a great shield-wall at the last, and stand, and fight there on foot till all fell, and do deeds of song on the fields of Pelennor, though no man should be left in the West to remember the last King of the Mark. So he rode to a green hillock and there set his banner, and the White Horse ran rippling in the wind.

Straight out of Lord of the Rings, Chapter 6 "The Battle of the Pelennor Fields".

gyrovague

Tue 29 Jun 2021, 19:03

Fully agree. It sounds like the translator for the German version accidentally edited the source file. "Ja, Freund, Ich verden Sie enhearten."

"Scan" also sounds jarring to me. That one must come from the Cyberpunk translations. I get why "Search" isn't optimal, but Scan is awkward.

I guess we'll get used to them both!

Mythicos

Tue 29 Jun 2021, 19:13

Yeah, "Scan" was really more eye-soaring to me than Enhearten, because it sounds much more Philip K. Dick than Tolkien to me...

Antalon

Tue 29 Jun 2021, 19:51

Inspire is a verb; enhearten is an outcome?

Scan, well, okay, but Search seems more apt.

HunterGreen

Tue 29 Jun 2021, 20:09

Inspire is a verb; enhearten is an outcome?

Scan, well, okay, but Search seems more apt.
Enhearten is also a verb, and was used that way in the quote from RotK that Mythicos gave us. I suppose the noun form would be "enheartenment" if that came up, though I doubt it ever would. It is an unusual word, but no better replacement for Inspire leaps to mind, keeping in mind the need that it echo Tolkien's own writing.

Best guess I have seen in the TOR/AiME discord for a reason to change Search is the sense that to some people it seemed to overlap Explore too much, and I can see how Scan does that less (but only a little less). I am a bit stumped for this choice. I wonder if Seek was considered, but I think it also would be eliciting similarly negative responses. (Seek, search, and scan can all be used in a high-tech context, of course, but they all also can be used in other contexts. I think whether it feels counter-immersive depends on what someone's exposure to it is.)
TOR/AiME Discord: https://discord.me/theonering
Narvi, the TOR bot for Discord: https://bitbucket.org/HawthornThistleberry/narvi/

RichKarp

Tue 29 Jun 2021, 20:21

I completely agree that both of these changes, while minor, are for the worse.

Inspire no doubt was changed because it might lead people to believe that the skill could impart Inspiration as now implemented, a familiar mechanic from D&D and a good one. Unfortunately, this was a skill that already perfectly described how it impacted NPCs and now is somewhat less clear.

Between the two concepts, I would actually lean towards calling “Inspiration” something else and reverting “Enhearten” to its original name.

Scan is somewhat less offensive, but it does have that (unfair) connotation with modernity. I’d be curious to understand the logic behind this renaming, whether it was because they felt that Search was easily confused with Explore or etc. If there was some ambiguity about what it did before, I fear there will be more now because Scanning is often thought of as looking a far distance, such as at the horizon, and would likely now be confused with Awareness.

I recommending replacing “Scan” with “Find” because that’s what I think it’s usually talking about - not exploring an area or detecting an ambush, but specifically with spotting that one piece of interesting treasure or finding the one specific thing you need in a situation.