Carcharoth
Topic Author

Thoughts on the "Red Ring" design?

Tue 09 Feb 2021, 19:54

TOR-2e_Cover_Art.jpg
TOR-2e_Cover_Art.jpg (171 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
It's interesting to me that FL chose a red ring instead of a golden one. To me, it's a nice blend of familiarity and uniqueness. The silhouette of the "villian" with the red ring suggests Sauron and the Master Ring, but also invites you to invent and insert your own villian and source of power for your campaign.
"Of all the terrors that came ever into Beleriand ere Angband’s fall the madness of Carcharoth was the most dreadful; for the power of the Silmaril was hidden within him."
- The Silmarillion

Falenthal

Re: Thoughts on the "Red Ring" design?

Tue 09 Feb 2021, 19:59

I love it.

First of all, it surely comes from the way Tolkien himself drawed the Ring for his ideas about the covers:

And regarding the silhouette, I tend to think it's the Witch-king of Angmar. The crown seems to suggest that for me, at least. Also, knowing that this edition wants to be more "local", it would make more sense if the rise of Angmar would be at the center of the evil, not the Great One Sauron. Not still. That will come with Gondor in the future, probably. Moria can have the Balrog as the main evil, so the source of corruption and danger and evil is not the same one all over the different regions. As much as we know the Shadow is one, it also has many faces so as to not feel repetitive.

Carcharoth
Topic Author

Tue 09 Feb 2021, 20:09

I love it.

First of all, it surely comes from the way Tolkien himself drawed the Ring for his ideas about the covers:

And regarding the silhouette, I tend to think it's the Witch-king of Angmar. The crown seems to suggest that for me, at least. Also, knowing that this edition wants to be more "local", it would make more sense if the rise of Angmar would be at the center of the evil, not the Great One Sauron. Not still. That will come with Gondor in the future, probably. Moria can have the Balrog as the main evil, so the source of corruption and danger and evil is not the same one all over the different regions. As much as we know the Shadow is one, it also has many faces so as to not feel repetitive.
I didn't catch the direct reference to Tolkien's cover design. I'm sitting here trying to figure out why FL deviated from what I thought are traditional design tropes, and it turns out they're on point than I am. I guess that's why they're making this game instead of me! I already liked the design, and this just makes it even cooler. Now I'm wondering if subsequent region guides will also feature a similar "villain silhouette set against a colored ring" motif. That would make for some nice shelf presence!
"Of all the terrors that came ever into Beleriand ere Angband’s fall the madness of Carcharoth was the most dreadful; for the power of the Silmaril was hidden within him."
- The Silmarillion

Elroval

Tue 09 Feb 2021, 20:49

I have to say, I absolutely love this cover. I think its an instant classic, and would look great as a poster. The composition, with the Witch-King in the back, and the red/black/grey colour-scheme are superb. Really like the way the figures are painted, and the lighting on them. Also the hint of grim forest textures surrounding the images is a really nice touch. Having drifted away from Tolkien in my RPGs in recent months, this has really whetted my appetite to dive back in again, and got me dreaming about possible campaigns.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Voronwe

Wed 10 Feb 2021, 01:35

I love it.

Well spotted, Falenthal!

If FL designers put such an effort in every aspect of the new edition... wow!