Gualterio

Brimstone Cascade

Sun 16 Jun 2019, 22:52

I GMed Symbaroum for the first time last night. It went well and all but one player is on board to start a campaign. The one who wasn't played Bartolom in "Promised Land." He had an issue with my ruling on Brimstone Cascade. I ruled that if there were people between he and his target they could be affected by the flames rather than his intended target. He kept saying the mystical ability could only affect one target and that's why the effect should bypass unintended targets. I said a crossbow shot into a crowd could hit unintended targets too. 

I'm thinking I should give him a hefty penalty and let the chips fall where they may. How would you rule on this?

Rangertheman

Re: Brimstone Cascade

Mon 17 Jun 2019, 10:48

If the intended target is hiding behind an innocent bystander, I would also rule that it hits the closest target, i.e. the bystander. Even if the effect is created by magic, it's physical in nature. 
Official Proof-reader, Game Creator (The Bureau for Strange and Unusual Events), "Hacker" (The Fate of Ambria), Text Provider (Symbaroum app), GM (Symbaroum, Tails of Equestria, "The Bureau", Forbidden Lands) and Player (Symbaroum).

Valyar

Tue 18 Jun 2019, 21:36

I would also do the same. Makes sense and Also there is the rule 0 - the GM has the ultimate say. 

Attackmack

Mon 19 Aug 2019, 16:38

Its basically a beam of fire, of course it hits the first thing it runs into. I would agree with your ruling that it can hurt anyone close to the target or inbetween the caster and target.

But on another note, this player is actually not willing to start a campaign because he disagrees with the GM on a ruling? Who would even want a player like that in a campaign?

bithir

Tue 20 Aug 2019, 19:50

In my campaign, I would allow Brimstone Cascade to avoid creatures between the caster and the intended target.  This is a magic flame, seeking its target, and it is fairly made clear that the Adept one does not need the target to be close to each other, or in a line when using it as a chain.  The mystic actually stears the brimstone cascade to new targets.

As long as you are consequent in your ruling, I see no problem with your ruling - it is just not for my campaign and players.
GZIP: Off