Fenhorn
Topic Author

Combat Maps?

Mon 02 Oct 2017, 14:49

Since this based this on MYZ combat rules I wonder a little bit about movement. In many situations the abstract movement can of course be used but will you have rules for combat maps?
The reason I ask is that with hex-crawl and also dungeon-crawl a more detailed movement system would be good. The combat map rules that you have in a textbox in MYZ would of course be enough for this (even though I would like a little bit more advanced combat map rules that this).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Harper

Re: Combat Maps?

Mon 02 Oct 2017, 15:12

Can you give an example?
Do you mean rules fit for miniatures use?

Fenhorn
Topic Author

Mon 02 Oct 2017, 15:56

The normal rules for distance in MYZ is abstract. You move from Long to Short, from Short to Near and so on. This works well in most cases, but if you are indoors, it can be good to have more detailed rules. In MYZ they had a textbox called Combat Maps. The Combat Maps rules where that instead of spending a maneuver and move from short to near, you instead assume each maneuver spend equals five squares (10 meters). I think it would be a very good thing to have in combat situations, especially indoors. In MYZ, I don't always use it if there is combat indoors, but sometimes it makes combat situations easier.

I think it could at least be a good idea to have such an optional textbox in this game. Who knows, perhaps the Free League people already have thought about this and have a plan, either to use the same idea from MYZ or something new. So indoor movement works better.

creativehum

Mon 02 Oct 2017, 16:55

It's an interesting point.

I prefer the abstract system presented in MYZ and Coriolis. But I can see how the narrower, cramped quarters of a "dungeon" (as mentioned on the KS page) might encourage a more detailed geography. 

My own guess is that it isn't required. In the same way that Ruins in MYZ are quite abstract in terms of geography, a Dungeon in FL could well be a rough map with a half dozen encounters -- some placed at key points, others triggered to occur at some point. The focus will be on survival, checking legends against truth of the place, finding artifacts and treasure. I'm not sure if a more detailed system ready for miniatures will be needed. 

After all, the 10x10 grid of the classic dungeon is tied to all sorts of resource management issues of light and time (for wandering monsters). I'm not sure if FL is going to go the route of being concerned about such things. If it is, however, then maybe some more precise mapping and maneuvering might be in order!

King_Kull

Tue 03 Oct 2017, 01:00

But there has not to be a grid for dungeon crawling. 13th Age is very elegant in this. You can use miniatures but they are either engaged or not and there a short or far away ranges. And that’s enough. I’m playing it for nearly three years and it works fine with a battle map and minis.
I am king!

Halo

Tue 03 Oct 2017, 08:48

I do hope, based on what I know about the system the rules are based on, that they keep a more abstract way of measuring distance. That has never stopped me from using maps and markers, we just don't have to count hexes to move things about but it is often a helpful tool to keep track of things for us. :D

I do hope there's some kind of maps in the adventure sites thingies that can be used as a tool for combat and the whatnot.  :D

Tomas
Site Admin

Tue 03 Oct 2017, 12:28

Good thread here.

Our current plan is to stay with fairly broad methods of measuring distance, but to make it a little more concrete than, for example, Mutant: Year Zero. In the current draft, we use a system of zones or areas, a little similar to how some FATE systems do it. A combat area can be, for example, a room or a stretch of dungeon (large halls or outdoor locations can consist of several areas). Combattants in the same area are Close to each other, the distance to an adjacent area is Short and beyond that is Long range. To enter into melee combat, most weapons require you to move into Arm's Length (some weapons like pikes and whips can let you attack from Close range). Most maps will indicate the combat areas, allowing control of movement without getting too detailed.
Fria Ligan

Fenhorn
Topic Author

Tue 03 Oct 2017, 12:31

Tomas, that sounds great. The best of two worlds sort of.

Harper

Tue 03 Oct 2017, 16:54

Good thread here.

Our current plan is to stay with fairly broad methods of measuring distance, but to make it a little more concrete than, for example, Mutant: Year Zero. In the current draft, we use a system of zones or areas, a little similar to how some FATE systems do it. A combat area can be, for example, a room or a stretch of dungeon (large halls or outdoor locations can consist of several areas). Combattants in the same area are Close to each other, the distance to an adjacent area is Short and beyond that is Long range. To enter into melee combat, most weapons require you to move into Arm's Length (some weapons like pikes and whips can let you attack from Close range). Most maps will indicate the combat areas, allowing control of movement without getting too detailed.
It feels old school-y,
(What I learnt to do is just state the appropriate range based on how I visualised the scene, less metric more poetic license, the momentum of play was more important)

King_Kull

Wed 04 Oct 2017, 00:18

Good thread here.

Is fine with me. But don’t know if I like Arm‘s Length. Find Engaged and Disengaged better. But Arm‘s Lenght is okay - will buy the game even when this term is used ;)
I am king!