A place to list things needing corrections in the offered sample chapters.
I've got a few already, I'll post in a bit... after coffee.
Differences between US and UK English are strange, but often insignificant (apart expressions, slang and urban language). Americans tend to simplify, and write the way they speak. As a French, I learned UK English as a student, but with time, TV series, RPG books, internet, media and stuff like that, I tend to write more and more in US English (Color/Colour, Analyze/Analyse, Center/Centre, etc.), but there's always a few words that defy logic.P.S. I've always been a fan of the cosmopolitan two l's in "traveller". I hope that doesn't get Americanized.
I'd love to dedicate more time to it this right now, but I've got deadlines for paying work that is, well... almost identical to doing this: proof-reading translations into English. If I don't make my deadlines, I don't have money to pay for my pledge.All right, I'm a bit disappointed with the collaboration here. Who's co-mistake hunting here?!
Two things, (1) they did say that the sample chapters weren't proofread and (2) we either make this a comprehensive list or it won't help at all.
So I'd say, I'll update this post with all mistakes we find, in order, and let's make it a test run for November... ?
- "to close sth. shut" is a common English expression as far as I know, uhm, native speaker anyone?
- The hyphenation thing is an actual mistake according to my research
ERRATA – SAMPLE PAGES
CHAPTER 1: INTRODUCTION
- upper left: Not "the fate of the Third Horizon's" but "the fate of the Third Horizon"
- upper right: Not "he decides what truths that lay behind the secrets you uncover" but "he decides what truths lie behind the secrets you uncover"
- lower left: Not "explore the the game world" but "explore the game world"
- lower left: Not "the game world Coriolis" but "the game world of Coriolis"
- Lower left: Not "Middle Eastern culture, rather" but "Middle Eastern culture rather" (no comma)
- Lower right, middle: uses hyphens instead of dashes incorrectly twice
- Lower right: Not "First-come" but "Firstcome" (consistency in terminology)
- Upper left: Not "unspea- /kable" but "unspeak- /able" (incorrect hyphenation)
(Inspirations infobox evidently not translated by native speaker)
- Upper left: Not "play roughly role" but "play roughly the role"
- Upper right, twice: Not "tv-series" but "TV series" (as far as I know)
Factual nitpick note: The Firefly TV series, though ostensibly "cowboys in space", emphasizes on countless occasions that the Asian/Chinese culture has survived as well and remains very influential particularly in artistry and colloquial language.
- Upper right: Not "to get in the right feeling" but maybe "to get a feeling for the setting" or "to get in the right mood"
- upper left: not "there is a bunch of other tools" but "there are a bunch of other tools"
- upper right: double blank in "back of the book" betw. "back" and "of" (?)
- upper right: not "if your are" but "if you are"
- upper right: not "use these to to get an overview or your" but "use these to get an overview of your"
- lower left, first line: incorrect quotation mark in front of "the Horizon", should be '66' instead of '99' (typography error)
- lower left: please check if "radical" is the correct translation from the original Swedish
- lower left, middle: uses hyphen instead of dash incorrectly once
- first paragraph: space/blank missing between "...the crew.The captain"
- first paragraph: please check whether "captain family" instead of "captain's family" really is correct
- second paragraph: not "First-come" but "Firstcome" (consistency)
- second paragraph: "progressive" seems a needlessly politically charged word to me
- third paragraph: not "many dwells" but "many dwell"
- third paragraph: incorrect hyphen instead of dash
More to come, especially from the second sample chapter with all its hilarious "exemples"!
- left: not "albeit that" but just "albeit"
- left: no semicolon after "the Council; the criminal..." but rather a colon: "the Council: the criminal..."
- left: not "Xene's" but "Xene"
- left: incorrect quotation mark in front of "sacrilege!", should be '66' instead of '99' (typography error)
- left: not "what is the true agenda Emissaries?" but "what is the true agenda of the Emissaries?"
- right: not "the intrigues surrounding the factions thickens" but "the intrigues surrounding the factions thicken"
- right: not "phenomena" but "phenomenon"
- right: not "said reserved" but "said to be reserved"