Crom_Laughs98
Topic Author

Ambush

Sun 15 Oct 2023, 02:21

Hey all, I would love some clarification on Ambushes.

I've read this line over an over and can't make sense of it:
Pg. 43 in the Rule book, under Ambush
"All those who fail get the bottom cards (counting from #10 and up), randomly drawn."

Does that mean #10 up to #1, in reverse order? That would seem to count "down."
Or is it "up" as in to #11, then #12, #13... but there are only 10 initiative cards in the box set. And a poker deck can only go to 13 with suits as tie-breakers.

And where are the "bottom" cards? Shuffling the initiative cards and pulling from the bottom is equally as random as drawing from the top. So how do you randomly make sure players get "later" cards.

Or is it that the ambushers and the "successful" victims draw first and then the "failed" victims draw from the remainder of the cards? That wouldn't affect actual turn order.

Or do the 10 cards get split somehow, like group A draws randomly from #1-5 and then group B draws randomly from #6-10?

The latter makes the most mechanical sense, but I don't think is clearly represented in the way it's currently written.

Another house-rule option could be to "add +10" to the initiative of thise who failed the AWARENESS check, i.e. #1 = #11, #2 = #12, etc.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Byrax

Re: Ambush

Sun 15 Oct 2023, 07:57

Does that mean #10 up to #1, in reverse order? That would seem to count "down."
A. Yes.

And where are the "bottom" cards? So how do you randomly make sure players get "later" cards.

A. Sort out as many low cards (10, 9, 8 etc) as the number of players or NPC/Monsters that failed. Then shuffle those cards and deal/draw.

Crom_Laughs98
Topic Author

Re: Ambush

Sun 15 Oct 2023, 21:09

Right on, thank you!