Barbarianbob
Topic Author

Heroic Abilities Progression

Thu 28 Sep 2023, 23:22

Hey All... just sharing some ideas i had for guidelines on awarding heroic abilities. Just a little something more "solid" then at the GMs discretion.

None of these methods prelude the GM from handing out bonus HAs a rewards. The can all be altered for faster or slower gain. Enjoy...

Option 1: Session Based
Start with one from character creation. Gain a new HA after number of sessions equal to your total sessions since your last HA gain.

1nd HA "begin with" (from character creation)
2nd HA after three additional sessions
3rd HA after four additionl sessions
4th HA after five additional sessions
Etc.

So your next HA is always the total number of your sessions since your last HA +1. Using the chart below, check off the bubbles after each session to get your next HA.

Creation gain 1st HA
2nd HA O O O
3rd HA O O O O
4th HA O O O O O
5th HA O O O O O O

So to get that 6th HA will take you 7 sessions, and so on, so this method reflects dimnishing returns, while also giving your characters a "goal" to aim for.

Option 2: Rolling
Start with an "HA Gain" roll of a 20. At the end of the session (and keeping in line with the spirit of the improving skills system) roll a D20. If you get a 20, you gain a new HA. If you fail, you lower your "HA Gain" roll to an 19 for the next session. End of the next session, you roll again with a 19-20 rewarding you with a new HA. This continues until you gain an HA, at which point the target number resets to 20.

Option 3: Point Butly
At the end of every session, you take a number of "skill improvement rolls" and instead of rolling to improve that skill, you "bank" that roll as a point(s) with wich to buy a heroic ablitiy.

The cost of each HA scales. Your first one (aside from the one you start with) cost 5 points. The next one costs 6 points, then 7 and so on. Again, this reflect diminishing returns while also giving the players goal to aim for.

rcrowder

Re: Heroic Abilities Progression

Thu 28 Sep 2023, 23:30

I like option 3 it very much adds on to one of the ideas I had about Heroic Abilities as well, but adds the progressively increasing costs, which I think is a solid idea.

Barbarianbob
Topic Author

Re: Heroic Abilities Progression

Fri 29 Sep 2023, 04:36

I like option 3 it very much adds on to one of the ideas I had about Heroic Abilities as well, but adds the progressively increasing costs, which I think is a solid idea.
Thanks. I'm glad you like.