Spelunk
Topic Author

Question about Grapple and "Break"

Sun 09 Apr 2023, 22:20

Hey all, reading though the rule book for the first time and I'm confused about grapple (pg 48):
While maintaining your grip, you are also unable to move or perform any action that requires body movement, except break – this counts as an unarmed attack with a boon that cannot be dodged or parried. Releasing the enemy is a free action.
I've looked through the rule book regarding the keyword "break" but I haven't found anything. Does this mean an unarmed attack?

Thanks

Fenhorn

Re: Question about Grapple and "Break"

Sun 09 Apr 2023, 22:32

The word Break is just a name and description what you are doing to the poor person that you have trapped in your grip. As it says, it counts as an unarmed attack.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Spelunk
Topic Author

Sun 09 Apr 2023, 22:44

Oof, I was just overthinking it. I read it as "make an unarmed roll (which I guess would be brawling) to break"

I appreciate your quick reply.

BenLeVif

Mon 10 Apr 2023, 08:55

Hi, just to be sure i understand fully the thing
The roll is a free action for the enemy,
but not for you.
When you grapple someone, if you have no action left (by making the unarmed attack) your opponent will automatically break free ?

Fenhorn

Mon 10 Apr 2023, 09:17

To grapple someone is an opposed roll - Brawling vs. Brawling. It is an action for you (the person who grapple) but a free action for the one who defend himself.

The person who is grappled can't do anything but try to break free - Brawling vs. Brawling. it is an action for the person who you (the person who tries to break free) but a free action for the one who have the grip.

Example
Round One
A - Init 1; B - Init 2
Init 1) - A grapples B and both roll for Brawling. Only A spends an action (it is a free action for B). If we assume that A wins, he now has a grip on B.
Init 2) - B, who still has his action left, tries to break the grip and both roll for Brawling. Only B spends an action (it is a free action for A).

Round Two
A - Init 2; B - Init 1
Init 1) - B spends his action to try to free himself from the grip (the only thing he can do). both roll for Brawling. This opposed roll isn't an action for A. If he assume that B looses this, A still has a grip on B.
Init 2) - A spends his action to do the special Break action, which count as an unarmed attack but with a boon, so he will roll his Brawling skill and cause D6 damage if he hits . Since you can't dodge or parry a Break, B can only hope that A misses.

A can of course, as a free action also just release B.

BenLeVif

Mon 10 Apr 2023, 11:23

Thank you for your answer,
As long as you
maintain your grip the enemy can neither move nor
perform any action that requires body movement,
except trying to break free. Doing so is an opposed
roll between your BRAWLING and the enemy’s
BRAWLING. The roll is a free action for the enemy,
but not for you.
Did i read it wrong?

Fenhorn

Mon 10 Apr 2023, 11:33

Thank you for your answer,
As long as you
maintain your grip the enemy can neither move nor
perform any action that requires body movement,
except trying to break free. Doing so is an opposed
roll between your BRAWLING and the enemy’s
BRAWLING. The roll is a free action for the enemy,
but not for you.
Did i read it wrong?
If it is the the text
The roll is a free action for the enemy, but not for you.
You mean, then that is written from the point of view of the person who tries to break the grip. So it is an action for him to try to break free (it is his init after all) but not for the the person who have the grip, he can just maintain the grip, i.e. it is a free action for him to just resist your attempt to break free.

BenLeVif

Mon 10 Apr 2023, 11:47

Feel strange because the way the Grapple rule is presented (i will not quote the full paragraph), "You" is always the attacker initiating the grapple and the "Opponent/Enemy" is depicted as the grappled.

Might be me and my broken English.

Fenhorn

Mon 10 Apr 2023, 12:05

Feel strange because the way the Grapple rule is presented (i will not quote the full paragraph), "You" is always the attacker initiating the grapple and the "Opponent/Enemy" is depicted as the grappled.

Might be me and my broken English.
It has a strange feeling to it yes.

Sunsword

Mon 24 Apr 2023, 04:46

I think choosing to name the Grappler's unarmed attack "Break" adds to the confusion.