Welsh_Knight
Topic Author

Cthulhu Rules?

Fri 07 Apr 2023, 09:15

I'm thinking of using the Vaesen rules for a Cthulhu type campaign. The only thing I'd need to do is the Sanity aspect, spells, monsters and a little work on the 1920's. Has anyone done any work on anything like this or got any ideas?

Thanks

W K

MutantFromMars

Re: Cthulhu Rules?

Sat 08 Apr 2023, 15:33

There are a LOT more skills in Call of Cthulhu that form the core of the investigative aspects of that game - In Vaesen, the vast majority of this will be handled by the Investigation and Learning Skill.
Languages as a skill just don't exist in Vaesen either, so your ability to read a Latin edition of "De Vermis Mysteriis" is going to depend on whether your character background suggests they have the academic ability in the first place.

The typical Cthulhu Archetypes for characters aren't really present here, because of the location and time period - so you'll probably have to put together all those librarians, antiquarians, hard-boiled detectives and dilettantes that form the basic core of a Cthulhu group in most cases.

You sort of already have Sanity in Vaesen - you can get Mental Conditions, be Broken by them and suffer Mental Criticals, so you should be good there.

Most of the Cthulhu spells can probably be covered by the existing Enchantments, Curses and Trollcraft rules. Summon and Bind Byakhee, for example, are probably both Enchantments. Shrivelling is a Curse and Create Gate is Trollcraft.

Overall, you'll have a simplified Call of Cthulhu experience, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it will be different.

Welsh_Knight
Topic Author

Tue 11 Apr 2023, 20:57

Hex,
Thanks for the reply mate, certainly given me food for thought.
Cheers
w K

PTV31264

Wed 12 Apr 2023, 16:14

You should take a look at Cthulhu by gaslight. The time frame of the setting is similar to Vaesen. It might give you some ideas.