RavenDark
Topic Author

Question about water rations

Fri 26 Apr 2024, 21:03

Just a quick question about water rations.

I know Dragonbane includes rules for food. Is there anything similar for water?

Or, does the food also include water?

Raven

Raven Nash

Re: Question about water rations

Fri 17 May 2024, 08:22

I think the rules assume, that water is easily available. There's no desert or ocean in the Misty Vale, after all.
As the consumption of 1 Ration daily is required, I would simply take that as Food & Water.

Short Fey

Fri 17 May 2024, 09:24

I'm inclined to agree. Rules seems to imply that you don't need to drink water on a daily baisis, so could assume that you drink from some nearby source of freash water when eating your ration.

But it would'nt be hard to impliment a water rule. There are containers for liquids like waterskins and barrels. So could just make a version of FAMISHED that requires one unit of liquid of water to avoid
Beware the fey!

Raven Nash

Fri 17 May 2024, 10:15

But it would'nt be hard to impliment a water rule.
The thing is, from a realism point of view, the Hunger-rule is already more of a Thirst-rule. Physical harm doesn't happen from going just 1 day without food - while going 1 day without water may certainly do so, depending on the environment.

Short Fey

Fri 17 May 2024, 10:25

But it would'nt be hard to impliment a water rule.
The thing is, from a realism point of view, the Hunger-rule is already more of a Thirst-rule. Physical harm doesn't happen from going just 1 day without food - while going 1 day without water may certainly do so, depending on the environment.
Sure, but a lot of the rules are generally streamlined abstracts rather than simulated realisem. You don't recover borderline lethal, bodyily harm by taking a roughly 15 minuet break for instance.

Edit: plus, if you wanna making the loss of water worse than the loss of food, simply make the requirement stricter (1 unit of water per shift), or the punishment harsher ( +1d when loosing hp & wp)
Beware the fey!

Raven Nash

Fri 17 May 2024, 11:27

What I meant was, that there's no need for a seperate rule, as RAW simulates already more a need of water than food. ;)

Short Fey

Fri 17 May 2024, 11:42

Fair enough.

I personally still lean towards dehydration should be a stricter version of famished though, than just using RAW but for thirst . Kinda you don't bump into it as often (like need to be somewhere where freash water is scarce or none existant), but when you do you need to fufill it or be harshly punished(to sell the idea dehydration is scary and can kill you quickly, while famish is slower.
Beware the fey!