ApoApostolov
Topic Author

Need Help wih reworking of Path of the Killer

Sat 24 Feb 2024, 01:00

I am trying to rework Path of the Killer in a more realistic and less immersion-breaking direction, and I would love to see if someone has worked on it for their own campaign and share ideas. Rank 1 is very much in tone, but Rank 2 and 3 veer into ACME antics and do not support the fantasy of the silent assassin in the shadows. I am still new to the game and would love to learn from other people's more polished rules and mechanics, if possible.

The way I see it, Rank 2 and 3 can be about hiding in shadows, fast movement to get to the target, distracting to open up vulnerable back for a big surprising strike with a chance to kill outright. I would love to stay true to Reforged Power as well, where Rank 4 and 5 are about the politics of an assassin and the ability to research your victim.

JohanR

Re: Need Help wih reworking of Path of the Killer

Sat 24 Feb 2024, 01:45

Well, I had an alternative in Reforged Power, but I removed it.

RANK 3: When you hit someone with a light melee weapon, and that someone is either unaware of your presence, or engaged in combat with a third party at arm’s length, you can spend Willpower Points to have found a weak spot to at-tack. Every WP you spend increases damage by 1 and also make the opponents armor have no effect against the attack.

The reasons for it being removed was that it is tries to do a bit too much (long convoluted text)... and I also think that if talents should be reworked, they probably should be reworked for all professions. And while I thought about rewriting all talents, then they could be rewritten for either a more high fantasy approach like dnd, or a low fantasy approach, [like in this thread].

If you decide to make your own, you could also read [this post] about my thoughts about balance of profession talents.

I'm currently working on something else. But this a project I could maybe work on in the future, but probably not..? As I have a bit too many things to do right now.. >.<
Regarding Forbidden Lands, I'm mostly waiting for the Alderland (and/or The Sparse) books, and will update Reforged Power to 4.0 to fit those.

Original AJ

Mon 26 Feb 2024, 14:45

I thought rank 2 was OK, but changed rank 3 to: When you make a Stealth roll, you can spend WP to buy additional X.
I don't use reforged power, and prefer just 3 ranks in talents.

JohanR

Mon 26 Feb 2024, 17:16

I thought rank 2 was OK, but changed rank 3 to: When you make a Stealth roll, you can spend WP to buy additional X.
I don't use reforged power, and prefer just 3 ranks in talents.

This looks like a very good option. I find it a bit sad that a half-elf with this would be better than a Goblin though (as they get two X for 1 WP), so as a house rule instead of making goblin rogues a weak choice (by getting a talent they cannot use). You could allow them to stack, so that one WP counts as two, for a Goblin that takes this. It will not be overpowered (as the half-elf already can do it), and will make the Goblin not feel as sad for picking up a talent that doesn't do anything. [Reforged Power, Kin & Profession synergy, page 23]

Broadsmile

Wed 20 Mar 2024, 16:08

I'd recommend the Extra Professions supplement on DrivethroughRpg. It's unofficial but the Burglar Profession is basically a more clean & classic version of a rouge. Sneak/light attacks, Stealth, Acrobatics.

It's also got an Artisan class which is neat if somewhat particular. And a Noble class which i find a bit unfocused in concept.

Also it's very affordable

https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/pro ... fessions-i