boones
Topic Author

Question about archetypes

Thu 26 Oct 2023, 18:17

As someone new to the system, and preparing to run my first sessions, I have a few questions about the rules and setting.

1) Is there a particular lore-reason why the archetypes do not include the by far most common professions of the time? Meaning farmer (by a long margin), factory worker, miner, lumberjack, sailor, craftsman (masonry, carpentry etc.), merchant? I can just improvise from the examples given, but it seems odd. So I was wondering if there is an in-game reason that I have missed - i.e. can farmers not develop The Sight?

2) Shotguns have no stats as far as I can see. Anyone got a better suggestion that copying the stats from rifles except a 0-2 range instead of 1-3?

3) Any tips for running the game for less than 4 players (2 to be exact). I contemplated giving them the talent "Brave" for free since fear tests seem to be pretty punishing with a less-than-full party. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

psullie

Re: Question about archetypes

Sun 29 Oct 2023, 18:16

As the archetypes are just suggestions I figure the selection is more 'these would be cool' rather than and lore proscription. The table on P219 does give you an idea though of how wider profession's could fit.
The lack of Shotgun stats has been noted, more bizarre is that in later books some NPC's are equipped with them and still no stats.
I actually find that the investigative nature of Vaesen works best with smaller groups. Just slow down the countdown and offer them more opportunity to rest and recover Conditions. Make sure that they have good Logic and Empathy skills between your two PCs,

boones
Topic Author

Re: Question about archetypes

Wed 01 Nov 2023, 20:31

Thanks a lot. I hadn't noticed that table, it is very helpful.

We had our first session and it went surprising fine. Only issue that came up was dual wielding. Since there is a talent to enhance this, it implies that everyone can do it - except there doesn't seem to be any other mentioning of it. One of my players is into history re-enactment and apparently sword and pistol was a big thing back in the "vaesen" time period.
I just ruled he needed the talent to do it in the first place, and it didn't feel overpowered in any way.
Honestly, since combat is so deadly in the first place, and Vaesen are mostly immortal for practical purposes, the system feels pretty robust when you come up with stuff on the fly.

As we come from Pathfinder 1st ed. we're not used to making up rules about combat!