Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Dragonbane Quickstart Feedback

Tue 30 Aug 2022, 13:54

Hi!

Please use this thread to post feedback and report any typos or errors in the Quickstart rules for Dragonbane. Guidelines to remember:
  • Before reporting an error, please check and see if it already has been reported, and if so, don't report it again.
  • Do not post comments on the Riddermound adventure here - do that in the GM's section.
Thank you!
Fria Ligan

First Age

Re: Dragonbane Quickstart Feedback

Tue 30 Aug 2022, 17:48

Thank you for the Quickstart, it looks a lot of fun. I am presently enjoying the older Trudvang version, which is quite different to Dragonbane.

Apprecaiting that the game has been extensively played throughout its long illustrious history, one thing that immediately jumped out to me was the action economy, and that a character only gets a move and one action (or reaction). Why did you go for this rather than granting one action and one reaction a round? Or even multiple combat actions with incremental penalties?
First Age
https://fae.ttrpg.uk

ErikSonOfEliah

Tue 30 Aug 2022, 18:13

This isn't an error, but rather some feedback on the Gust of Wind spell (pg 25): This spell would probably be easier and quicker to run if it had a set distance. For example, "Small objects are hurled 6 meters away from you per power level. All untethered creatures up to human size within the Area of Effect are pushed 2 meters away from you per Power Level and also suffer D4 bludgeoning damage per 2 meters pushed."

The reason being, it can be hard to adjudicate someone being pushed an odd number of meters when the squares on a combat map are 2 meters each. If looking for variance in distance, maybe the the spell description could add something like, "Affected creatures can lower the distance they get pushed by 2 meters with a successful MOBILITY roll (not an action)." In addition, rolling D3s can just be a little cumbersome with the extra math of rolling a D6 and figuring out the result (especially rolling 3D3 when casting at higher power levels), which is why I'd suggest a D4 in place of that for the damage die. It's not a big difference in damage, and it can save time and effort in figuring out the damage result (which is especially important during combat).

The spell obviously works fine as-is, but these are all just suggestions to speed up play and reduce the extra math and adjudication required. Thanks!

Fenhorn

Tue 30 Aug 2022, 18:26

Thank you for the Quickstart, it looks a lot of fun. I am presently enjoying the older Trudvang version, which is quite different to Dragonbane.

Apprecaiting that the game has been extensively played throughout its long illustrious history, one thing that immediately jumped out to me was the action economy, and that a character only gets a move and one action (or reaction). Why did you go for this rather than granting one action and one reaction a round? Or even multiple combat actions with incremental penalties?
To avoid "ping-pong" battles and with the more dynamic initiative system have more tight actions filled with risk-taking (or not). That is part of the reason, if I remember various interviews correctly.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

sandor7

Tue 30 Aug 2022, 19:17

Naming a resource after the attribute it derives from (ie Willpower and Willpower Points) may be a bit confusing. also, you don't have Constitution and Constitution Points.

Maedryc

Tue 30 Aug 2022, 19:55

To avoid "ping-pong" battles and with the more dynamic initiative system have more tight actions filled with risk-taking (or not). That is part of the reason, if I remember various interviews correctly.
Well, frankly, it seems to me that this decision will just turn fights into slogs, as well as "going last" the winning tactic here, since deciding if you're going to parry or hit after your opponent has acted seems to be the best course of action if you want to stay alive.
Also, it seems to reward focus firing an opponent (or a character), which would definitely make the game decidedly less fun for the focused party, as they get to either act or try and survive (which would probably be the most sensible choice).
I sincerly hope when the full rules come out there's a way to increase the number of action a character gets, especially considering that most RPGS often see the heroes outnumbered.

Thanks for the clarification, anyway! :)

JohnWithAgun

Tue 30 Aug 2022, 19:58

optional rule to death roll request

Something that caught my eye while looking through the quick start was that death rolls are made against your own constitution modifier. (judging by the premade characters and from DnD knowledge this is a attribute that is rarely low). Thus making it very likely you will pop back up from downed state.

Would it be possible to add a optional rule that have a higher chance to kill the characters without me as the dungeon master having to be the bad guy and hitting downed players? :)

___Edit suggestion___
Critical condition.
With this optional rule, you suffer a condition when you are reduced to zero hit points, in addition if you have 6 conditions your death rolls automatically fail.
Last edited by JohnWithAgun on Wed 31 Aug 2022, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

dkdi3983

Tue 30 Aug 2022, 20:25

p. 7, second paragraph: "If you have a boon, only the best result applies. If you have a bane, only the worst result applies." Superlatives only apply when comparing three or more items, so this would be better written as "If you have a boon, only the better result applies. If you have a bane, only the worse result applies.

p. 7, Multiple Boons/Banes section: The text says that multiple boons and banes never count as more than one. This is a little ambiguous in light of the next section, which deals with how multiple boons and banes interact; it might be clearer here to say, "Even if you get multiple boons/banes to your roll, you never roll more than two D20s."
Last edited by dkdi3983 on Wed 31 Aug 2022, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

dkdi3983

Tue 30 Aug 2022, 20:53

p. 15, Parrying section: it would be better to consistently use "parry" as the verb instead of using "block" and "parry" interchangeably. (As the text stands, with seven uses of "block" in this section, a new player may reasonably wonder what the difference between parrying and blocking is.)

magustrate

Tue 30 Aug 2022, 23:58

Page 25 under Rolling a Dragon the final option is "You can immediately cast another spell, but get a penalty on the roll."

This penalty isn't specified anywhere. Is this meant to be a "bane"?