MagrothJ

Re: Dragonbane Quickstart Feedback

Sun 18 Sep 2022, 13:59

A person that has hid himself is not sneaking anywhere, he has hid himself and then he stays hidden hoping that no one finds him. Scouting can be seen as some sort of danger sense, you can detect if someone is sneaking upon you, perhaps to get near so they can pickpocket you.

By separate those skills, we can have someone who is an expert detecting secret doors, hidden treasures or clues, but isn't necessary good at avoiding animals or monsters sneaking up on you in the wilderness and vice versa.

We don't have the full rules so we have to wait for that before we know. My description is based on what little Tomas have mentioned in interviews and how earlier editions have handled this.
The same thing can be said about other skills though. I'm actually all for having them separated but I also want more other skills. Having absolutely everything from astronomy to botany to mathematics and everything in between being covered in one skill just does not feel right to me. But splitting 4 skills (scouting, spot hidden, sleight of hand, sneaking) which could just as well be one skill called "thievery" is apparently ok. Yes I'm of course generalizing and I don't think that should be done but I think you get my point.

The same can be said about persuasion and survival at least.

And also I want a skill for shields but that also requires some more adjustments to the combat system like having an extra action for your second hand but I've covered that in the swedish thread.

Kaybe

Sun 18 Sep 2022, 18:43

And also I want a skill for shields but that also requires some more adjustments to the combat system like having an extra action for your second hand but I've covered that in the swedish thread.
That would require a pretty significant combat rebalance and weeks or months of playtesting. Not going to happen. And without that extra offhand action, a skill for shield alone would be very punishing in terms of skill point distribution since playing a classic tank would require a lot more skill point investment. Plus a hard hit on a shield breaks it. I think using your weapon skill is perfectly fine for both weapon and shield parries.

I have a question about Rally. When it says each person can only do it once per round ... is that each person doing the rallying? Or each person being rallied?

I also have a question concerning long weapons: The book says long weapons allows you to attack creatures up to 4 meters away. How do long weapons interact with free attacks (aka attacks of opportunity)? Do they allow someone to get a free attack from someone moving out of their 4 meter attack range? Or is it still just 2 meters?

P.S: Gonna have too add my voice to those who believe magic is too weak with the examples provided. While Gust has utility, both Fireball and Pillar, being single target spells, are EXTREMELY underwhelming given their WP cost.

Kaybe

Mon 19 Sep 2022, 18:24

I have a question about stretch rests.

According to the quickstart, you can only heal HP and WP from stretch resting once per shift. But it doesn't say anything about conditions. Does this mean that if you really pushed yourself in a fight and took three conditions, you could rest for 3 stretches in a row (45 minutes) to clear them all, even if you can only heal HP and WP once?

MagrothJ

Mon 19 Sep 2022, 19:47

That would require a pretty significant combat rebalance and weeks or months of playtesting. Not going to happen. And without that extra offhand action, a skill for shield alone would be very punishing in terms of skill point distribution since playing a classic tank would require a lot more skill point investment. Plus a hard hit on a shield breaks it. I think using your weapon skill is perfectly fine for both weapon and shield parries.
Oh trust me, I don't expect that this feedback will receive any attention whatsoever. It and a few other changes from the old games does however make this version of DoD/Dragonbane a very watered down version, making it more similar to D&D than what it was.
It does not however need to be punishing. More skills usually means more points to distribute. And a hard hit does not necesserily need to break it if you balance the game well.

Jakob

Wed 21 Sep 2022, 17:48

A pretty smallish thing, but: There doesn't seem to be a set duration for the Magic Trick "Heat/Chill". While it seems like a pretty minor effect, it would become an extremely powerful spell in arctic conditions if its duration were indefinite ... if it were limited to - for example - one hour, that might provoke some interesting choices when the Elementalist has to decide whether he is ready to spend all his willpower to keep the group warm for the better part of the day.

Bonzzo15

Wed 21 Sep 2022, 22:17

Stating what size of grid you used would be helpful, seeing as (if I’m not mistaken) the box comes with a gridded battlemap and miniature cardboard standees. In short, a nice way to know what miniatures and maps would be a good size to use in the full release.

jasales

Thu 22 Sep 2022, 15:27

Ran a session of the Riddermound. We all liked it. However having the squares be 2 meters vs Range and Movement numbers seems silly. Either half the range and Move numbers or just call everything spaces and move on. Why, when the rest of this game is so simple do we have to half range and movement numbers every single time we want to use them on the map?!

Fenhorn

Thu 22 Sep 2022, 15:45

The DoD '84 used squares as a measurement for movement allowance and ranges (for spells they actually listed both squares and meters). Unless there is a special reason that we don't know yet, I would go with squares instead for meters when listing movement ranges.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Jakob

Thu 22 Sep 2022, 18:47

A problem with using squares instead of meters is that it's not very intuitive if you play theatre of the mind style. I practically never use battlemaps, and using squares would mean that I'd have to multiply by 2 everytime movement comes up .. on the the other hand, if you're playing ToM style, exact distances aren't that important anyway, so maybe it would still be for the best to just go with squares.

Fenhorn

Thu 22 Sep 2022, 19:40

It is a simple thing for everyone to as they please at their gaming table. It isn't the hardest formula in the world.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore