VorpalMace

Re: Dragonbane Quickstart Feedback

Wed 14 Sep 2022, 15:29

Lifting a portcullis is basically forcing it open.

Narl

Wed 14 Sep 2022, 19:54

New updated version can be downloaded here. It has now a clean player map at the end.
Thanks! Are there any other changes? I noticed some of the needed additions/changes are still missing, such as a skill rating for the Death Knight so he can parry (per the rules monsters can parry if they have a weapon, which he does).

Fenhorn

Wed 14 Sep 2022, 19:59

New updated version can be downloaded here. It has now a clean player map at the end.
Thanks! Are there any other changes? I noticed some of the needed additions/changes are still missing, such as a skill rating for the Death Knight so he can parry (per the rules monsters can parry if they have a weapon, which he does).
I think it is just the map at the end that was added (because people have been asking for it).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Jnov36

Fri 16 Sep 2022, 03:59

Please no 5e mechanics. If I wanted to play 5e I would play that. Free League has their own unique mechanics, please continue. I've already backed this game and look forward to it, I just don't want to see 5e mechanics.

GeekyReese

Fri 16 Sep 2022, 08:44

I'm having difficulties discerning when to use the 'Spot Hidden' and 'Scouting' skills as both seem to be interchangeable. The Quick Start Rules don't seem to clarify their use either as both have examples of being used in spotting hidden creatures and items. Why have both if they do the same thing?

ChrilleT

Fri 16 Sep 2022, 12:42

I'm having difficulties discerning when to use the 'Spot Hidden' and 'Scouting' skills as both seem to be interchangeable. The Quick Start Rules don't seem to clarify their use either as both have examples of being used in spotting hidden creatures and items. Why have both if they do the same thing?
I interprets it that spot hidden is looking for hidden objects, switches and loot. Scouting is to detect threats. Not a detailed description of the skills themselves but if you are a GM there is examples in the quickstart adventure where they have written what these two skills can be used on the map (in the room description) if that can help.

Narl

Fri 16 Sep 2022, 14:03

Tomas said in an interview that Spot Hidden is active while Scouting is more passive. My guess is that Scouting is probably going to tie into potential travel rules.

GeekyReese

Fri 16 Sep 2022, 16:46

I interprets it that spot hidden is looking for hidden objects, switches and loot. Scouting is to detect threats. Not a detailed description of the skills themselves but if you are a GM there is examples in the quickstart adventure where they have written what these two skills can be used on the map (in the room description) if that can help.
I originally thought the same thing then noticed that Spot Hidden is used for detecting a hidden creature (pg.30), thus making it usable for animate things as well.
For Scouting on pg.29, is being used to detect hidden creature(s), making both skills (within a dungeon) the exact same thing.

If as Narl suggests Scouting is meant to be an outdoors only skill and Spot Hidden indoors, I can see that being useful as terrain varies in that situation, but as of now, having both do the same thing regardless of area/terrain is redundant.

Fenhorn

Fri 16 Sep 2022, 17:06

Spot Hidden is used for when you actively search for hidden objects, traps, secret doors but could also include a living being that has hidden themselves. Scouting is used when you passively can detect things, like when someone is sneaking upon you but also if you actively are scouting out someone, like a group of orcs nearby to determine what they are up to.

A town guard use Scouting if a thief is using Sneaking to sneak by him undetected. If the same town guard suspects that a thief has hidden some stolen goods or even himself in a garden, he use Spot Hidden to find it/him. The thief could also use Scouting to scout out the town guards on a specific street to learn their movements.

Scouting (and some other skills) doesn't have much use in the Riddermound adventure.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

GeekyReese

Fri 16 Sep 2022, 18:15

Spot Hidden is used for when you actively search for hidden objects, traps, secret doors but could also include a living being that has hidden themselves. Scouting is used when you passively can detect things, like when someone is sneaking upon you but also if you actively are scouting out someone, like a group of orcs nearby to determine what they are up to.

A town guard use Scouting if a thief is using Sneaking to sneak by him undetected. If the same town guard suspects that a thief has hidden some stolen goods or even himself in a garden, he use Spot Hidden to find it/him. The thief could also use Scouting to scout out the town guards on a specific street to learn their movements.

Scouting (and some other skills) doesn't have much use in the Riddermound adventure.
Then that brings up the question; If spot hidden is for looking for people that have hidden themselves then that also applies to someone who is sneaking since they have already hidden themselves… that’s why they are sneaking. Why use scouting at all?

If it is a Passive Skill, that brings up another question, how does one determine whether it is a success, does the GameMaster roll against the Players skill level or does the Player roll? If the Players roll, or make a deceleration of intention of that skill, then it no longer becomes passive but active.

It seems that having both skills with no clear distinction between the two (as of now) is an over complication.

Several of my players recommended the following during our run through;
Spot hidden = Inanimate objects (in any situation)
Scouting = Animate objects
Clean, easy and distinct.