Bonzzo15

Re: Dragonbane Quickstart Feedback

Thu 22 Sep 2022, 22:03

The DoD '84 used squares as a measurement for movement allowance and ranges (for spells they actually listed both squares and meters). Unless there is a special reason that we don't know yet, I would go with squares instead for meters when listing movement ranges.
The movement is based around meters, and if you want to play in some kind of consistent scaling (like I do) I want to know how they scaled their stuff themselves. It might not be 100% correct or anything but if they use a 25mm square and it equals 2x2m and on that square they place 25mm cardboard standees, then I can know how “heroic” their scale is. Like how exaggerated the characters are compared to the basing and so forth.

Narl

Sun 25 Sep 2022, 01:17

I like that it is in meters rather than squares. My group plays "theater of the mind" and it is much easier to describe things in terms of meters and have everyone visualize that and also know exactly how many rounds it might take to get to an enemy.

Using squares as a default and on the character sheet would suggest miniatures are expected, which can put off a lot of groups that really prefer not to use them.

Original AJ

Sun 25 Sep 2022, 11:43

Ran a session of the Riddermound. We all liked it. However having the squares be 2 meters vs Range and Movement numbers seems silly. Either half the range and Move numbers or just call everything spaces and move on. Why, when the rest of this game is so simple do we have to half range and movement numbers every single time we want to use them on the map?!
I was counting a move to a connecting square as 2 and a diagonal one as 3.

Relborn

Mon 03 Oct 2022, 22:39

Is the skill list from the Quickstarter already the final list of all skills or will the list be extended in the full game?

torus

Tue 04 Oct 2022, 06:37

<>
- A successful dodge can make you move *up to* two meters away. An attacker can target a defender *up to* two meters away, and also get a free attack on someone fleeing who is up to two meters away. So this appears to make the movement from the dodge pointless, no? Or maybe it's only for getting into cover from ranged attacks and was never meant to assist in running from a melee attacker?
A defender (normally) stands in the square adjacent to the attacker, that is two meters away. If the defender dodges and uses the free two meter movement that comes with dodge, he is now four meters away from the attacker.
This is a great illustration of why using squares rather than in-world distances is so helpful when describing tactical combat rules. :)

BytomMan

Fri 28 Oct 2022, 17:09

1. The parry and dodge rules are a bit harsh when it comes to monsters. Monsters automatically hit and to defend you need to spend your action to avoid damage. I like better the system in Symbaroum where you always roll to defend against an opponents attack. Otherwise, the players are gonna to get killed fast or a bunch of goblins ganged up on them.

Perhaps additional reactions can be done at disadvantage. Either way, this is a broken rule and if it stays as is I’ll be house ruling it on my campaign.

2. The condition dirty is silly to me. A term like hopeless from Vaesen sounds better to me.

VorpalMace

Fri 28 Oct 2022, 21:33

Otherwise, the players are gonna to get killed fast or a bunch of goblins ganged up on them.
That sounds realistic. As far as I understand goblins and other humanoids aren't handled as monsters and have stat blocks as the player - monsters is something used for the really monstrous things. Per the rulebook: "A monster is a creature of unnatural origin, a terrible beast that strikes terror in all and defies the natural order. Monsters are controlled by the GM and act largely in the same way as player characters and NPCs in combat."

2. The condition dirty is silly to me. A term like hopeless from Vaesen sounds better to me.
I totally agree. You aren't the only one who dislikes the name. We're talking about Charisma here after all, not Appearance like in some other BRP-relatives.

Fenhorn

Fri 28 Oct 2022, 22:37

Humanoids fights uses the normal rules, it is only monsters that uses monster attacks. The goblin in the scenario is probably pretty standard for a goblin, he will go down fairly easily. Also something to think about is that none of the pregens have any heroic abilities, they are starting characters (with a bit higher than normal attributes perhaps.

Regarding 'dirty', Tomas have said that they will most likely change that to something else.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Bonzzo15

Fri 18 Nov 2022, 13:35

1. The parry and dodge rules are a bit harsh when it comes to monsters. Monsters automatically hit and to defend you need to spend your action to avoid damage. I like better the system in Symbaroum where you always roll to defend against an opponents attack. Otherwise, the players are gonna to get killed fast or a bunch of goblins ganged up on them.

Perhaps additional reactions can be done at disadvantage. Either way, this is a broken rule and if it stays as is I’ll be house ruling it on my campaign.

Dirty seems logical to me, imagine dodging an attack just to roll in a pile of goblin dung, i would not feel very charismatic after that. Or even if my hair was filled with regular dirt, trying to look professional or sexy with a bunch of mud in my face isn't going to work. It's perfect the way it is, i worry the update is gonna be even worse.

Narl

Mon 21 Nov 2022, 05:39

Goblins are NPCs and function different from monsters. They do not automatically hit and instead roll to hit like a PC would.

Having run the quick start a couple of times now, I really like the monsters always hitting. It makes every turn they get impactful and scary. I've run too many games where the big monster just misses for multiple rounds and then dies, to the disappointment of everyone involved really.

If you haven't played it, give it a try and you may see it differently. You have to see the initiative and action systems in play to really understand how they work.