MeepleHat
Topic Author

Help a newbie with a one shot

Tue 30 Aug 2022, 04:22

So a few years back a good buddy of mine wanted to run a “Firefly” one shot. We were all really excited and joined the fun. Turns out he was a sneaky, low down, lying game master, in the best way. It was set in the Firefly univers but was actually an Aliens game. We were all shocked and most of us died but we had a blast.

It’s been long enough now that I’d like to repay the favor and run a one shot T2000 game that includes an encounter with a Predator.

How would you stat a Predator? I want it to be really tough to beat but not impossible.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Vcutter

Re: Help a newbie with a one shot

Wed 31 Aug 2022, 12:02

Well obviously I'd go with straight A's in STR AGL and combat and recon skills.
But those are just stats.
What makes Predator so unique is of course his gadgets and especially the camo field.
I'd make PC's roll RECOn with pretty hefty modifiers to just locate him. That forces them to get creative ("can we cover him in some liquid or place glass on the ground to hear him approach" etc). Also make him disengage after the attack, just to force PC's to locate him again. Also if they wound him maybe they can track the blood trail? If it bleeds we can... you know the rest:)
With the weapons/gadgets I'd get creative. If you have seen the latest, Prey, you see examples of totally new weapons in use. I'm pretty sure almost every Pred movie has some new gadget. Or maybe this time the Predator will attack the weapons of the characters with pinpoint accuracy to force them into more primitive combat solutions?
So my approach wouldn't be so much about stats but about how you play the Pred, get creative with new stuff while dropping in expected subtle tropes from the movies: "Your recon roll was successfull, you see 3 red dots form a triangle on the forehead of your teammate, what do you do?"