Dunheved
Topic Author

Wound? What Wound?

Fri 26 Aug 2022, 00:28

OK, its confession time.
My medical expertise is nominal. So I can't answer the following: which means my narrative is being limited by my ignorance. Can anyone give some suggestions or point me in the right direction?

If my PC gets a Wound in Middle-Earth : and it is a Wound that is possible to be Healed in ten days or less - my question is "What sort of Wound might that be?"

e.g. A broken bone in a limb does not seem it will fit the bill, as I think most broken bones will take longer than ten days to mend.
But would a sprained ankle? Or a pulled muscle, or dislocated shoulder?

AND

Using Tolkien-tech field medicine: what sorts of Wound can my Healers assist in repairing: and how might they do that?
Is it reasonable to suggest that a wrenched muscle might be wrenched back into place? (does that even work?)

Asgo

Re: Wound? What Wound?

Fri 26 Aug 2022, 01:15

good question, and my guess would be the healing time is heavily abstracted *and* reduced to make wounds less annoying from a gaming fun perspective.

given that the second wound has you making rolls against dying and that barely not dying just adds another 10 days, I would assume wounds also cover in a handwavey way serious stuff that would never heal naturally in 10 days, in particular if the patient doesn't rest in those days and continues journeying.

some elements could be explained if you say the mending time isn't until fully healed, and instead just enough healed that it doesn't hinder a sturdy adventurer significantly anymore and the rest will heal over time. But that interpretation can only be stretched so far. ;)

baldrick0712

Fri 26 Aug 2022, 20:04

For some ideas you could always have a look at Trauma

Dunheved
Topic Author

Sat 27 Aug 2022, 09:31

That Trauma thing looks very likely to give the details I was asking about. Maybe too much detail!

In the meantime, I've watched a chat show, which had a guest describing ripped intercostal muscles. That seems debilitating temporarily too.

So I am now of the opinion that what I call Wounds for PC s are quite minor: while the Wounds delivered to adversaries are more extreme and much more debilitating. At least, narratively speaking!

baldrick0712

Sat 27 Aug 2022, 15:01

As an example from Trauma, say your character suffers a broken nose. Medieval tech diagnosis: Easy. Medieval tech treatment: Set or Splint bone, Easy. No treatment or failed treatment roll a d10.1-4 heals fine on its own, 5-8 nose becomes crooked, 9-10 nose becomes depressed/flattened. If crooked or depressed, the character will become a bit uglier (might make social interaction rolls disadvantaged). A broken nose is a superficial head wound, healing in 2 weeks.

baldrick0712

Mon 29 Aug 2022, 08:47

I think the sticking point here is the "10 days or less" to heal. 10 days or less is indeed too little for a broken bone, or pretty much any significant injury, to completely heal. However, I think it can be interpreted differently. The 10 days or less figure is the time it takes for the player-hero to uncheck the Wounded condition checkbox, so that they now recover Endurance at the normal rate. Full recovery could take a lot longer. The 10 days or less figure should be considered the period for which the injury is really debilitating. It could still be severely bruised and tender for weeks after.

baldrick0712

Mon 29 Aug 2022, 08:50

some elements could be explained if you say the mending time isn't until fully healed, and instead just enough healed that it doesn't hinder a sturdy adventurer significantly anymore and the rest will heal over time. But that interpretation can only be stretched so far. ;)
Ah - I see that point has been suggested already.