TherorSilverhelm
Topic Author

How often can a player receive First Aid?

Thu 25 Aug 2022, 16:11

Hi All,

I've been re-reading the core rules and making some notes before my first campaign and I have a question that I would like to get people's opinion on.

In Chapter 6, Page 101 under the "First Aid" sub-heading, after describing the results of a successful Healing roll it reads:

Each hero may be administered a successful First Aid only once.

I'm unsure exactly how to interpret this. Is this per wound? per Adventuring phase? per day (like retrying failed Healing rolls) or per the lifetime of the character? (99% this last one isn't the case).

My assumption is that each hero may be administered a successful First Aid only once per wound. With one wound being a consecutive amount of time whilst the character suffers from the Wounded condition.

Thanks in advance for any insight you may be able to bring.

Asgo

Re: How often can a player receive First Aid?

Thu 25 Aug 2022, 17:21

my read is the same, one (successful) first aid per wound until it is healed.
If I right it correctly, additional wounds directly lead to dying and you get a healing roll to avoid that, but since you add the 10 days to your previous wound time any additional wounds are more modifiers to your original wound (as long as you survive them).
Given that and the name first aid, I would say you can do it only once per wounded phase so to speak. If you healed and then get hit again it starts all over again.

besides just from a numbers side, if you would allow multiple successful, you would reduce the mending time way too fast given the max of 10 days and a 1+additional successes for the first aid.

TherorSilverhelm
Topic Author

Thu 25 Aug 2022, 17:38

Agreed the numbers do seem to support this interpretation.

As far as I read the process looks something like this:
1. The Character is wounded for the first time. They roll on the severity table (and assuming no Gandalf or Eye) note the wounds duration, and tick the Wounded box.
2. The wounded Character or another Character may attempt a "First Aid" roll by making a Healing skill check, to reduce the duration (to a minimum of 1), and the wounded Character cannot benefit from another Healing roll until this wound is gone.

Additionally if the wounded Character suffers another wound:
1. When the Character suffers another wound, they drop to 0 Encumbrance and are dying.
2. Another Character may attempt a Healing roll. If Successful, an hour later the dying Character wakes up with 1 Endurance.
3. The Character must add 10 to the duration of the original wound (step 1)
4. The Character then removes 1 day plus a number of days equal to Tengwar scored, from the total duration of the original wound (step 1).
5. The Character decides on the details of the permanent mark caused.

Dunheved

Thu 25 Aug 2022, 21:58

Why not consider all possibilities? Your company of 6 PC survive a fight: but three of the PCs are Wounded.
1. Albert is Wounded and rolls a 6 on the severity die roll: 6 days to recover
2. Brenda rolls an eye and is Dying
3. Carl is Wounded by poisoning (Spider or orc attack)

The other three PC all have Healing skill = 3. They are Des, Ellen and Frankie.

Albert is attended by D E and F.
D rolls Healing and fails. E can roll Healing, because D did not have a SUCCESSFUL Healing roll. But this must take place on the next day. E rolls a Success with 2 sixes on their Success Dice. This is three days relief from Wound A, leaving A with a TREATED wound and 2 further days remaining to recover fully. F cannot roll, as E has been Successful.

B is in immediate danger of death. D E and F can all try and save Brenda as things are desperate for her. It makes no narrative sense for E and F to wait a day for D's treatment to work - B is likely to be bleeding to death or choking away - So I would permit all their rolls, inside the same golden hour that remains before B will expire.
If any of these rolls is a Success, then B lives with 10 + 1d12 days to recover. Any sixes on that Successful Healing roll reduce this grand total by 1day per six rolled.

Poisoning? Needs a bit more reading! Will EDIT later.
Carl has received a simple cut and it takes some time after the fight when he starts to fall sick and in pain. (His endurance begins to fall away by 1d12 roll for that day, and each subsequent day). Each day ONE of the three Healers (D E and F) can attempt a Healing Roll, aiming for a Success that will arrest the Endurance drain. As the Poison came off an Orc weapon it is a severe threat/injury and each Healing Roll is -1d6. I feel that each attempt to clear the Poison, whether Successful or not, must take up a whole day: so like Case A above, only one roll can be made each day.

Note: for any of these Healing Rolls, one of the Healers might be the Fellowship Focus for another Healer - in which case I would advise the first Healer to Inspire a Hope roll by the second and get +2d6 for it.
Last edited by Dunheved on Fri 26 Aug 2022, 00:07, edited 2 times in total.

Asgo

Thu 25 Aug 2022, 23:03

B is in immediate danger of death. D E and F can all try and save them as things are desperate for A. It makes no narrative sense for E and F to wait for D's treatment to work - they are likely bleeding to death or choking away - So I would permit their rolls as well inside the same hour.
If any of these rolls is a Success, then B lives with 10 + 1d12 days to recover. Any sixes on the first Successful Healing roll reduce this grand total by 1day per six rolled.
Poisoning? Needs a bit more reading! Will EDIT later.
since the "prevent dying" healing tests aren't specifically "one try per day", I think letting everyone roll fits well. and then you could do the first aid check, since in this example with the eye roll there wasn't a previous first aid check.
Of course, letting everyone roll for a skill challenge will scale the difficulty with the group size, but that isn't specific to the dying roll nor even TOR itself.

baldrick0712

Mon 29 Aug 2022, 08:25

I thought that the general rule about action resolution is that one player-hero makes the roll but one (and only one) other player-hero can support the roll by spending 1 Hope, allowing the player-hero making the roll to gain (1d). Having all three make a separate Healing roll seems mechanically wrong to me. The rule is on page 20 of the core rules under "Support".

TherorSilverhelm
Topic Author

Tue 30 Aug 2022, 12:20

Although I think both approaches are viable as per reading through the rules regarding "preventing death", I would personally rule that only one character could make the test, with another providing support.

I just feel it works better in a narrative sense for me, I imagine a failed "prevent death" roll to be that the character has done all he can but it wasn't enough to stabilise/save the wounded character. It doesn't quite makes sense to me that the parties best healer would do all they can (but mechanically fail the roll) and then a less skilled character somehow realises it isn't going to work and thinks I'll give it a go as well even though I'm not as skilled as our best healer, with this repeating until the whole party have messed around with the soon to be corpse.

That's just me though, and purely based on my opinion of how I would run the scene narratively.