Otaku-sempai
Topic Author

Free League announces The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying for 5E

Mon 08 Aug 2022, 17:35

Facebook announcement:

Free League Announces The Lord of the Rings™ Roleplaying For 5E
“This is the Master-ring, the One Ring to rule them all.”
The path to Middle-earth will soon open for new adventurers. We are thrilled to reveal that the acclaimed second edition of The One Ring™ roleplaying game is coming soon in a 5E adaptation, entitled The Lord of the Rings™ Roleplaying.
The Lord of the Rings™ Roleplaying contains everything you need to create exciting 5E adventures set in the world’s most popular fantasy setting: six original heroic cultures from the land of Eriador, six new classes, a host of terrifying adversaries, and comprehensive rules for journeys, councils, wondrous artefacts, and the subtle magic of Middle-earth.
The Lord of the Rings™ Roleplaying core compendium will enter pre-order this fall, alongside a scenario module entitled Shire Adventures. A pre-order will give you immediate access to a full PDF of the products. The retail release of both is planned for Q1 2023.

#FideltyToTolkien

BytomMan

Re: Free League announces The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying for 5E

Mon 08 Aug 2022, 18:54

I know a lot of folks won’t like this but with 5E being such a big share of the market this makes sense for Free League. Plus, it might expose people to their other games and settings.

This happened with me. I had a group playing 5E and we started with Adventures in Middle Earth then switched after a while to The One Ring.

Sebastian

Mon 08 Aug 2022, 19:10

Although not being a big fan of D&D 5, I have zero problem with the upcoming game and I wish all involved all the best and success with this project. D&D was highly influenced by The Lord of the Rings. I mean, most of the cultures and classes are directly drawn from Tolkien’s Middle-earth. So it only seems logical to have a D&D version of our beloved game.

Otaku-sempai
Topic Author

Mon 08 Aug 2022, 21:05

Based on what Cubicle 7 did with Adventures in Middle-earth, the rules can and will be tweaked to make them a better fit for Tolkien's Middle-earth. We've seen such adjustments made before for other settings such as Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar.
#FideltyToTolkien

Midnightplat

Mon 08 Aug 2022, 21:22

Free League has already done a 5e adaptation of Symbaroum, I'm presuming they like the results enough to give a more visible title a go. It's ironic because last night I was trying to figure out whether I had time/bandwidth to learn The One Ring and present it as an alternative to my 5e group.

My understanding Free League's Symbaroum is more in line with some of the 5e products publishers like Ghostfire put out. That is, 5e is still at the core, but there are additional setting/tone specific rules on top of it, so both recognizable as 5e, but still dramatically different from someone who plays within WotC current official rules set, and thereby likely making it maybe not completely incompatible but at least problematic if you wanted to say integrate it into D&D Beyond (like every other third party product running on 5e).

timbolton

Mon 08 Aug 2022, 22:03

Have to admit, I am surprised at some of the responses across the various fandom spaces. If you have any knowledge of TOR 1st Edition you knew this was happening.
Free League are providing support to both of the Tolkien lines, they have said that from the start. It's as simple as that.
And like with C7, TOR leads both products with releases and the 5e game follows in its footsteps.

This should not be an issue for anyone.
"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass."

Lormin

Tue 09 Aug 2022, 14:34

When you say "fall 2022" is it more in line with your previous "in the following weeks" 2 months ago and we can expect it around september? I'm starting a new campaign end of august and I would like to know if I should wait or not on the new set of rules.

Vindictae

Tue 09 Aug 2022, 17:48

... It's ironic because last night I was trying to figure out whether I had time/bandwidth to learn The One Ring and present it as an alternative to my 5e group.
Personally, I would still heavliy recommend The One Ring. I think it's a great system, and the mechanics are fitting for the books. I don't think 5e will offer that specifically. Although I can imagine it being nice and low threshold for players of 5e, I think the atmosphere that The One Ring brings, will be hard to match. Other than that, I'm happy to see Free League expand their settings like this, as long as their original system are still getting plenty of attention (which at the moment, seems to be going fine).

Asgo

Wed 10 Aug 2022, 01:03

... It's ironic because last night I was trying to figure out whether I had time/bandwidth to learn The One Ring and present it as an alternative to my 5e group.
Personally, I would still heavliy recommend The One Ring. I think it's a great system, and the mechanics are fitting for the books. I don't think 5e will offer that specifically. Although I can imagine it being nice and low threshold for players of 5e, I think the atmosphere that The One Ring brings, will be hard to match. Other than that, I'm happy to see Free League expand their settings like this, as long as their original system are still getting plenty of attention (which at the moment, seems to be going fine).
haven't looked at Adventures in Middle-earth, but generally speaking most of TOR's core thematic flavors like journeys, councils etc should be easy enough to adapt - those are basically concepts grouping skill challenges for a specific purpose. You may need to adapt used skills, stats and such but that shouldn't be a problem.

A bit more effort is probably adapting hope/shadow in a thematic and mechanical meaningful way without causing too many side effects that need balancing or extra rules.

The core challenge would in my estimate probably be classes and items. Make them thematically fitting and functionally different in a for the most part low magic setting, while DND is about high magic as it gets, with a certain reliance on it in classes, spells and items.

a bit of guesswork, but the task shouldn't be insurmountable. :)

Lormin

Wed 10 Aug 2022, 03:31

haven't looked at Adventures in Middle-earth, but generally speaking most of TOR's core thematic flavors like journeys, councils etc should be easy enough to adapt - those are basically concepts grouping skill challenges for a specific purpose. You may need to adapt used skills, stats and such but that shouldn't be a problem.

A bit more effort is probably adapting hope/shadow in a thematic and mechanical meaningful way without causing too many side effects that need balancing or extra rules.

The core challenge would in my estimate probably be classes and items. Make them thematically fitting and functionally different in a for the most part low magic setting, while DND is about high magic as it gets, with a certain reliance on it in classes, spells and items.

a bit of guesswork, but the task shouldn't be insurmountable. :)
Exactly, it was my opinion AiME was really a work of art in the way it proposed one of the best version (if not the best version) of low-magic dnd. For one, it made one of the best version of the hunter class with its wanderer class. Journey rules and council worked okay, I think the rules themselves could have been thought better, but they really add to the game. I think shadow is relatively well included with corruption saving throws/missdeeds/ and shadow threshold past which you are "miserable", I think the main miss might be the "hope" part which mostly relies on inspiration.

AiME also included a lot of things I never saw in any other DnD TTRP like social/knowledge class abilities, which really encourages players to value gameplay outside of combat, and terrain/ambiance effects for encounters.

In the end, I'm just sad some people can't accept other people might prefer a d20 system out of familiarity/ease and feel the need to gatekeep the LOTR universe.