wmjoers
Topic Author

Starter set or Core rulebook?

Wed 03 Aug 2022, 11:35

Hi,

We are rather new to table top RPGs and want to get into Alien RPG, but I'm not sure which game to buy. The starter set looks like the obviouse choice, but what do we miss out on if we dont get the core rulebook? Do the starter set have simpler rules or just just less info for Campaigns?

I belive we will start with a Cinematic adventure anyways. Is it the same adventure that is included in both starter and core?

I know that you get some extra stuff in the Starter Set, like dice sets and maps, but I guess I could buy the dice sets and print out maps for the core. What is your suggestion?

Ps. If I buy the Starter Set and we like it, I will buy the core book as well, but that would be rather more expensive then just get the core book directly. Hmmmm...
Last edited by wmjoers on Wed 03 Aug 2022, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.

Fenhorn

Re: Starter set or Core rulebook?

Wed 03 Aug 2022, 11:42

The starter set doesn't contain any character generation rules and have a less setting material. The starter set contain a full three act cinematic scenario. The core book contains a short one act scenario (originally written so it could be used in cons I believe). So they have different scenarios in them.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

wmjoers
Topic Author

Wed 03 Aug 2022, 11:44

Thanks for the answer!!! If we get the the starter set, do you know if we can buy the expansion Cinematic adventures after, without buying the core book?

Fenhorn

Wed 03 Aug 2022, 11:53

The Starter Set contains the cinematic scenario Chariots of the Gods and the Core Rulebook contain the cinematic scenario Hope's Last Day.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

wmjoers
Topic Author

Wed 03 Aug 2022, 11:55

That's awesome! But then it will be starter set first, then the core book! Great! Thank's for your help!!!!!

Grimmshade

Wed 03 Aug 2022, 15:47

You can play Destroyer of Worlds with just the Starter Set as well. (Obviously your have to buy DoW separately)
I definitely recommend both the Starter Set and the Core Book as well as the Colonial Marine book eventually (which contains another campaign).
It's all so good and high quality stuff.

FantomPencil

Wed 03 Aug 2022, 22:43

And the Starter Set includes ALIEN dice. Ten of each type.

That's worth the price of admission alone. :D

wmjoers
Topic Author

Thu 04 Aug 2022, 09:35

And the Starter Set includes ALIEN dice. Ten of each type.

That's worth the price of admission alone. :D
Exactly my thought! :-)

Midnightplat

Thu 04 Aug 2022, 09:48

If you're very new to TTRPG, I'd agree with starting with the starter. Plus you get both sets of regular and stress dice. If you bought those off Free League's shop here those two dice sets would total about $34 US, so for those and the starter kit, it's just about $10 more. Now the dice aren't essential, you could play with regular 6-sided dice (though ideally two separate pools of two separate colors to differentiate regular and stress dice); but they're cool to have especially if you're a dice fiend. Also cool to have is the poster sized map of the known galaxy (it's regular page sized in the core rulebook, so the poster size is easier to read and just more impressive looking).

Downside as mentioned is that the set is structured to introduce the game to the players and Gamemother through a cinematic scenario with a pre-generated cast. No options for building your own characters. On the other hand, the characters are built with cool tools ("agenda cards") that help/coach the player to role-play the character in a way that players used to playing more "heroic" games may not be accustomed. Also, you don't need the core manual to play the sequel adventure Destroyer of Worlds, nor the forthcoming (think it's already in PDF, not sure why I haven't got my copy yet) Heart of Darkness further sequel.

Hadley's Last Hope in the Core Rulebook"storyline" - wise isn't directly connected to the cinematic story arc of Chariot-Destroyer-Heart (and even those aren't really a connected campaign in the traditional sense, as the players play difference characters, though there are connections in "the big picture"). It's also playtime wise maybe a third to a quarter length of Chariot of the Gods (starter adventure).

I bought the Core Rulebook first. I really enjoyed reading it but had a sort of "this ... is a lot" unease when I thought about presenting the system to my main gaming group (most of whom aren't as experienced gamers as I am); but I wound up able to get the Starter Set at a price that basically meant I was paying for what the dice would be worth alone so went for it, and aside from being stunned by the map, I was very happy to see the set was a well designed introduction to the game system and can attest to its utility as a tutorial before your players dive into making their own characters etc. I'd say it even does a better job that the Core Book scenario, which is a bit more minimal in story.

_ArthurDallas_

Thu 11 Aug 2022, 16:13

I think you can't buy anymore (in stand alone mode) Chariot of the Gods so I would go with the starter set. But Hope's last day is a very interesting scenario. So it's a hard decision to make. You get more with the core book I think.