Grimmshade
Topic Author

Blade Runner Replicants NPC's

Wed 13 Jul 2022, 21:16

I like to make some NPC's based on a concept/character when I am learning a new game to see how the systems work. I made the 4 fugitive replicants from the first film.
Some thoughts:
I'm not sure what would represent the replicants' ability to withstand extreme temperatures (freezing cold room and boiling egg water), but I'm assuming maybe Stamina.
Roy gave that awesome speech at the end, but he still mercilessly killed a lot of people, so low Empathy.
None of the NPC's I've seen in the game so far have "specialties", so I didn't give these any.
Pris probably wouldn't have any close combat skill, but I gave her a C. Might remove it.

It might be fun to run a short adventure with them hijacking the shuttle or something, but then you would need the two other replicants who got killed before the film.

Roy Batty
“Fiery the angels fell.”

Attributes:
Strength A
Agility B
Intelligence A
Empathy D

Health: 8
Resolve: 3

Skills
Close Combat A
Force B
Stamina A
Firearms B
Mobility B
Stealth C
Observation C

Specialties
None

Gear
Fashionable Coat

Pris
“We need you, Sebastian. You’re our best and only friend.”

Attributes:
Strength B
Agility A
Intelligence C
Empathy B

Skills
Close Combat C
Stamina B
Mobility B
Stealth C
Insight B
Manipulation A

Specialties
None

Gear
None

Leon Kowalski
“Let me tell you about my mother.”

Attributes:
Strength A
Agility B
Intelligence C
Empathy C

Resolve: 2

Skills
Close Combat C
Force A
Stamina A
Firearms C
Driving C

Specialties
None

Gear
.357 Subcompact Damage 1, Crit Die d12, Piercing, Min.Range Engaged, Max Range Short

Zhora
“Are you for real?”

Attributes:
Strength B
Agility A
Intelligence C
Empathy B

Skills
Close Combat A
Force C
Stamina B
Mobility B
Stealth B
Insight C
Manipulation B

Specialties
None

Gear
Animoid Snake
Last edited by Grimmshade on Wed 13 Jul 2022, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

Vader

Re: Blade Runner Replicants NPC's

Wed 13 Jul 2022, 21:28

Roy gave that awesome speech at the end, but he stilled mercilessly killed a lot of people, so low Empathy.

I think the point of Roy’s character arc — and of much of the movie’s plot, come to think of it — pivots around what in game terms might be described in that Roy’s Empathy stat pretty much hockey sticks.

It begins low, but at the end of the movie, it’s off the scale.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

Grimmshade
Topic Author

Wed 13 Jul 2022, 21:37

Roy gave that awesome speech at the end, but he stilled mercilessly killed a lot of people, so low Empathy.

I think the point of Roy’s character arc — and of much of the movie’s plot, come to think of it — pivots around what in game terms might be described in that Roy’s Empathy stat pretty much hockey sticks.

It begins low, but at the end of the movie, it’s off the scale.
Agreed! It's his ultimate revelation.
I guess in game terms that would just be cool roleplaying.

Vader

Wed 13 Jul 2022, 21:53

In a sense … but it would hardly be good roleplaying of a consistent Empathy D, would it?

To emulate such a character development, I feel the relevant stat ought to track it. The roleplaying would follow.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

Grimmshade
Topic Author

Wed 13 Jul 2022, 22:06

In a sense … but it would hardly be good roleplaying of a consistent Empathy D, would it?

To emulate such a character development, I feel the relevant stat ought to track it. The roleplaying would follow.
Well, I don't think he got that point until the very end, so I would just consider it a good final RP point. (As the entire rest of his arc wouldn't be good role-playing for Empathy A)
If it happened mid scenario, then I'd question the stat vs RP.

Vader

Thu 14 Jul 2022, 00:51

(As the entire rest of his arc wouldn't be good role-playing for Empathy A)

Indeed; just as the end would be a poor roleplaying of an Empathy D, so the beginning would be a poor representation of Empathy A.
Agree one hundred percent, as the contemporary idiom goes.

But I believe there is a bit more movement happening throughout the story, and not just in Roy.
Looking at subtle signs in Leon and Pris, it seems to me all of them enter the story at Empathy D, but leave it a notch or two higher. Zhora, we don’t get to know long enough to tell, while Roy is the only one we get to follow all the way through.

The progression is clearly exponential.

Grimmshade
Topic Author

Thu 14 Jul 2022, 01:07

It's too bad there isn't a bit more about Zhora. We just know she was recommissioned as an assassin or something.
Leon has his pictures he's sentimental about. That's why I started him with a C, even though he shoots the Blade Runner, and is pretty cold (pun intended) to Chew.

Vader

Thu 14 Jul 2022, 10:44

Leon has his pictures he's sentimental about. That's why I started him with a C, even though he shoots the Blade Runner, and is pretty cold (pun intended) to Chew.

In the very first scene of the film, Leon totally blows the V-K empathy test on the first question. I'd think that ought to nail him — at that point in the story — as a solid D.

His "precious photos" hold some kind of significance for him for certain, but is it in any way related to empathy? Or is he struggling with a nascent emotional development, and they hold the kind of personal significance that valued possessions would for any other three-year old, with a corresponding level of empathic ability?

Whereas in the scene where Deckard just has "retired" Zhora (after far too short an acquaintance, indeed), we see Leon witness the event, and the expression on Brion James's face clearly tells us he is devastated by Zhora's death — that his ability to relate to beings outside of his own person (i.e., empathy) is now on a different level than it was; perhaps a C, or maybe even a B.

rennarda

Thu 14 Jul 2022, 16:25

I think I would put Leon's Intelligence as a D - he seems extremely unintelligent to me.

Vader

Thu 14 Jul 2022, 16:41

I think I would put Leon's Intelligence as a D - he seems extremely unintelligent to me.

Bryant's briefing video does tag his Mental level as C, where Roy's is A, and Zhora's and Pris's are B...

All four have Phys: LEV. A

On this basis, Grimmshade's stats may need to be adjusted a little...