Remmers
Topic Author

Exchange Initiative

Mon 11 Jul 2022, 20:06

The rules on page 65 talk about exchanging initiative with PCs or NPCs.

Does that include hostile NPCs? As in can a PC switch turns with a hostile NPC?

Can the Game Runner also do this? As in switch a hostile NPCs turn with a player or other NPC?

Seam like it can create problematic situation where one character A needs to perform a certain action before character B else can do something else. But a hostile (to them) character can freely force character B to act "out of turn". Thus ruining the setup.

I realize that you can only exchange with character that have not acted yet so you allow an enemy to act before you. I am curious how it plays out on the table. To me it feels chaotic but I might miss the secret sauce here.

ExileInParadise

Re: Exchange Initiative

Tue 12 Jul 2022, 06:34

It is spelled out pretty well in the Year Zero Engine OGL:

-----
CHANGING THE INITIATIVE

You never draw a new initiative card during a fight, but you can exchange your initiative card – and thus your initiative for the round – with another player character.

This can be done at the start of the fight or at the start of the round, but never during a round.

You and the other player character must be able to speak to each other to exchange initiatives.
-----

Hopefully this helps.
We live, as we dream -- alone. ~ Joseph Conrad

Fenhorn

Tue 12 Jul 2022, 06:58

The exchange of init, even with an enemy exists in many YZE-games. The rules of how to do this may differ from game to game. In Blade Runner, the exchange of init card with an NPC that is hostile to you is allowed and a NPCs can do so as well if the GM think it is appropriate.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Remmers
Topic Author

Tue 12 Jul 2022, 10:36

Thank you for cleaning it up i hope this gets clarified better in the final rules or gets an example blurb. This is my first game with the YZE so I think it was written assuming some knowledge about the concept.

Fenhorn

Tue 12 Jul 2022, 11:08

It actually is pretty clear. It might not be a very common rule in games, so then it can be confusing for some. Other YZE-games are a bit more complex regarding this (a small bit) and they most often have two init-exchange rules. One between the players (that is what ExileInParadise above referenced) and one between to enemy characters in combat, usually called 'feint' or something in those lines.

The init-exchange rule in Blade Runner work a bit different than other YZE-games, it is now one rule, not two. The idea is pretty much the same though. Two characters on the same side swap init because of tactical reasons, two enemies do it because one feinted or tricked the other.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Joker84

Wed 22 Feb 2023, 21:29

I just started reading this book and i fricking love the system! I'm at page 65 right now and have that same question! My understanding is that you can exchange with any PCs and NPCs, even hostiles ones, but again, why would someone want to trade his initiative with an enemy? And give the Game Runner an advantage in executing his evil plan? Being a future Game Runner I say YES! Give it to me! But from a player point of view I would not recommend it anyway lol

Kaybe

Thu 02 Mar 2023, 20:49

I just started reading this book and i fricking love the system! I'm at page 65 right now and have that same question! My understanding is that you can exchange with any PCs and NPCs, even hostiles ones, but again, why would someone want to trade his initiative with an enemy? And give the Game Runner an advantage in executing his evil plan? Being a future Game Runner I say YES! Give it to me! But from a player point of view I would not recommend it anyway lol
Sometimes, you need to wait and see what the baddies will do. They may in fact wish to surrender. In other situations, the baddies might be out of range and for a PC to get in range, they might lose cover, so it might be wise to let the baddie move first. I personally wish there was an overwatch rule in BR, but not having one with this type of initiative system sure does ramp up the tension.