CitizenZero

Re: Lore Concern: Rep-Detect Unit/Blade Runner Position Timeline

Mon 11 Jul 2022, 18:37

Hmm. To use the Star Wars analogy again for a moment, would it be possible to, alongside canon (Alcon, Titan Comics, etc.) create a "Legends" version of Blade Runner content?

By that I mean perhaps a crowd-sourced wiki (or maybe it's just a GM resource section in the Discord) that could include all sorts of NPCs, locations, history, gadgets & gear, etc. that GMs could pick and choose to add to their campaigns.

As examples, I'm creating NPCs for Wallace's Dix Huit. I can find no other mention of the Dix Huit, but from what it says in the core rulebook, I'm assuming they are Luv and 17 other replicants that Wallace made. So this sourcebook would include those other 17 (or more accurately dozens and dozens of options for the Dix Huit that people make and GMs can pick and choose from to suit their campaign). Or past case file histories (not actually playable case files, just one-page histories of prior RDU events), or additional locations in LA. Or UN officials. You get my point.

This would be different than the printable character sheets or enhanced maps people like Gregory are already making. This would be all in-game, non-canon material.

Grimmshade

Mon 11 Jul 2022, 19:16

I'm currently working on Roy, Pris, Leon, Zhora, and maybe Rachelle. It would be great to have a resource to share things in.

gregory
Topic Author

Tue 12 Jul 2022, 01:32

For anyone curious, here is my more comprehensive Blade Runner timeline. Open to feedback!

Grimmshade

Wed 13 Jul 2022, 22:55

Watching the shorts again, in the 2022 short Gaff says that hunting replicants is the militarys job now. (unless I misheard)
He may be talking about military deserters and not all replicants.

I'm confused by the replicant registration numbers causing more problems on earth, when I assumed replicants were already outlawed on earth due to Nexus 6. Why were there so many registered replicants on earth?

aramis

Sun 31 Jul 2022, 04:20

Great point about replicants being illegal and Nexus 6 being off world. It's easy to say Deckard never encountered one.
My canon has also always been that Deckard is a replicant, which makes Bryant explaining things to him make more sense, as well as some of the strange facial expressions Bryant makes when explaining things.
The novel is (apparently intentionally) vague about Deckard being replicant or not. ,

Wile not having run BR under any system before, I've contemplated it for Spacemaster (stats in core)... and for Deckard, I just assumed he'd not encountered the N-6, as he stayed on Earth.

Or maybe, the Deckard we meet is an N-8 with the real Rick Deckard's memories, stored from the early days... Quite possibly born after Batty killed the real one... and thus he's dissociating due to faulty transfer. And why he goes "off the reservation..."
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

Vader

Sun 31 Jul 2022, 12:14

In the first film, Bryant explains replicants and specifically Nexus 6 to Deckard like he has no idea what they are.

But does he though?

Part of it is of course, as you rightly point out, exposition, but it always seemed to me that Bryant was briefing Deckard on deeper background information on Nexus 6 that Deckard lacked, previously only having been given the basics:

— The designers reckoned after a few years, they might develop their own emotional responses. You know, hate, love, fear, anger, envy. So they built in a failsafe device.
— Which is what?
— Four-year life span.

The inflection of Bryant’s voice in that last line suggests to me that he full well knows Deckard to be thoroughly aware of that Nexus 6es have four-year life spans. What Deckard doesn’t know, and what Bryant now is telling him, is why that feature was created.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion