budoface
Topic Author

‘Time’ in TOR2e

Fri 08 Jul 2022, 22:03

Hi folks,

I’m a very new LM, having recently just completed the 2nd adventure in the new starter set.
I’m really enjoying Gm-ing and I’m pretty sure the PH’s are too; I’m really excited to carry on through to the end of the adventure book ( already read, mapped out and ‘slightly embellished’ I might add!).

My query is regarding how to measure the passing of time in TOR.
In the hunt for the burnt beast is says:
“likewise, for every couple of hours of searching, if the player-heroes have not rolled 3 successes, the lore master rolls on the table again.”
How would you observe this ?
Thanks!

Dunheved

Re: ‘Time’ in TOR2e

Sat 09 Jul 2022, 00:16

Hi.
This will only be my way of looking at this.
I have played some of the earlier Starter Set adventures, but not the Burnt Beast episode.

However, clearly you need to offer/suggest enough opportunities for the Player-heroes to achieve the three Successes, before moving things along.

After each attempt, you might add a line indicating how much time has passed.

e,g while Rory Brandybuck wanders around from tree to tree examining the ground (his Scan roll?), the LM could add commentary about how, "... for the time of year the leaves on the trees are showing signs of poor growth. In fact, while Rory is prodding around, a half hour passes, which is enough time for the breeze to freshen and his hat is sent rolling off into some long grass next to a particularly dense patch of gorse bushes. (change tone of narration) The gorse bushes are so dense it would be very difficult to see much into them when the sun sets in a few more hours..."
And back to LM prompt: "What are the other hobbits doing while Rory is busy? Time is passing, the sun will set sometime today, making things more difficult, apart from the awful fear that you might miss out on the Late Tea back at the inn!"
(LM mutters behind Loremasters Screen - four o'clock, so three hour till dusk)

Or something like this.

budoface
Topic Author

Sat 09 Jul 2022, 16:42

Thanks! So it’s up to the LM to monitor and suggest time passing through the narrative.
That totally works for me, I just didn’t know if I had missed some subtle new mechanic or old trick gm’s use.
Appreciate your answer, thank you !

Dunheved

Sat 09 Jul 2022, 20:19

LM narrative is only one way of course (And to my mind the most straightforward and controllable for the LM).

But with luck other people will add in ways they might handle it. For example

1. Just ask the PH how long they are taking on their task; which prompts them to direct the action
2. Have an egg timer, and bring it on the table (if you are face-to-face), set the narrative and turn the egg timer over. (I am thinking of one of the hour glass / sand machines, but using an electronic countdown device instead might set a few teeth in edge!)

Glad to give you something to use: it's what the forum is for really.

budoface
Topic Author

Wed 13 Jul 2022, 13:56

Hi,
Actually, I also really like the idea of getting the PH input too as I’m keen not to do much talking and reading! It certainly seems like fun having a bit of a discussion about how long something might be taking a PH and getting them to describe their actions too.

Once again, thank you!