Lordxor
Topic Author

Creating new patrons?

Thu 07 Jul 2022, 03:58

I'm wondering if there could be official rules made for creating new patrons? It has stuck me as unlikely most starting adventurers would know such famous people as Gandalf or Balin at the beginning. I'd think they would have to work up to people with that much renown. My thinking is that characters start off a partonless. There are many ways to get them started off adventuring without one. Maybe then they can find a low level parton in the course of their first couple of adventures. Eventually as their fame grows, they will meet higher up patrons. Eventually meeting Balin, Gandalf, etc. Thoughts?

Asgo

Re: Creating new patrons?

Thu 07 Jul 2022, 09:31

Patrons are not too mechanical in their definition. If you want a lesser known patron, basically pick a NPC of yours and think of options for an entry in the patrons table:
some favoured callings to give a direction to the type of interaction/work, fellowship points, an additional advantage along the lines of the existing and a motivation.

if you want them to be a bit less known, I would just don't give any fellowship points and a more scenic/circumstantial advantage, perhaps with the option to connect to specific "higher" patrons if you want to make it hierarchical in the sense of A knows X and B knows Y.

Otaku-sempai

Thu 07 Jul 2022, 16:08

For TOR 1e I made Dís, daughter of Thráin, a Patron and had her relocated back to the Blue Mountains, where she managed the Erebor Embassy that used to be the Halls of Thorin Oakenshield. This is how I originally wrote her up:
Dís daughter of Thráin
Dís is the only daughter of Thráin II. She is the sister of the late Thorin Oakenshield and their brother Frerin, who perished in the Battle of Azanulbizar, and mother to the brothers Fili and Kili, both of whom died defending Thorin in the Battle of Five Armies. Lady Dís joined the rest of her folk in returning to the Lonely Mountain after it was reclaimed from the dragon Smaug. However, after a period of mourning for her sons and brother Thorin, she found that she could not remain there; the memories associated with Erebor were far too painful for her. Dís was only ten years old when Smaug claimed the Mountain. Many of her friends and their families were killed by the dragon and devoured. Her younger brother Frerin was slain years later by Orcs in the Battle of Azanulbizar. Most of her happy memories were of the Blue Mountains, where she grew to womanhood in the Halls of Thorin, met her husband-to-be, wed and bore two strong sons.

In T.A. 2944 Dís returned to the Blue Mountains and became the Lady of the Halls of Thorin. She acts as the Mistress of the Halls, ensuring that they are well maintained and that chambers are kept ready for envoys from Erebor, the Iron Hills and the other Dwarf-kingdoms and for special guests. She is educated and wise, and can also be stubborn and opinionated. She is also far too old to be bothered with customs she considers to be outdated nonsense. While Lady Dís carries an air of grace and dignity, she also defies the dwarven convention of 'dressing down' in the manner of a male for outsiders and when in public. Dís is typically garbed in hooded, white dwarven mourning robes, elegant and tasteful. While many conservative Dwarves are scandalized by this, she has accumulated a following among the younger set, especially with Dwarf-women who are themselves widowed or have determined never to marry.

Attribute Level: 8
Specialities: Rhymes of Lore, Leechcraft, Trading
Distinctive Features: Bold, Lordly, Robust
Relevant Skills: Courtesy ♦♦♦♦, Insight ♦♦♦♦♦, Lore ♦♦♦♦
#FideltyToTolkien

Lordxor
Topic Author

Thu 14 Jul 2022, 01:29

Thanks. Those are both good options.

DoubleAG

Mon 18 Jul 2022, 20:01

It makes me want to put together a Butterbur running the Prancing Pony as a patron. It would help give a good reason to be in Bree.

WinterMoonWolf

Tue 19 Jul 2022, 04:28

It makes me want to put together a Butterbur running the Prancing Pony as a patron. It would help give a good reason to be in Bree.
HA! I would enjoy to see such an idea come from dream to the game table! Bwa-ha-ha Brilliant!!

Asgo

Tue 19 Jul 2022, 16:28

don't forget the twist to make Butterbur the local crime lord whose absent-minded and friendly appearance is just a facade for the outsider.
all the locals know, no one crosses Barliman Butterbur. ;)