kanageddaamen
Topic Author

Unclear: Archetypes

Thu 23 Jun 2022, 04:25

I have seen a few mentions here and there but not an actual discussion.

The entire character creation process is very confusing with respect to archetypes. They seem to be a "template" that you can use to quickly create characters, as nothing is actually required of you when you pick one. As all choices are freely open, stats, skills, specialties, favored gear, there is nothing you are locked in to with your archetype.

What makes this particularly strange is that you starting chinyen points IS tied to an archetype. What is this balanced against? Why have this be variable if there is no requirements laid out by selecting an archetype? Why wouldn't everyone pick Skimmer, then make whatever character they want?

This side bar only adds to the confusion:

"The archetypes are just a helpful means of quickly creating a character that fits in the BLADE RUNNER universe. If you prefer, you can create characters exactly as you want without using any archetypes.
In this case, choose specialties freely and let the Game Runner decide how many Chinyen Points you start the game with"

Aren't those the rules anyway? You already can choose specialties freely.

How is the game runner supposed to know how many Chinyen points to start with? What is it balanced against?

It seems strange to me that there are no requirements for an archetype, if you are selecting one. An enforcer with a D in Strength, Firearms and Close Combat is no enforcer at all

Grimmshade

Re: Unclear: Archetypes

Thu 23 Jun 2022, 05:49

It does seem really strange, especially when there is the Attribute and three Skills listed.
I wish it was part of the rules, but if it doesn't change before print I'll probably say that the listed Attribute has to be at least B level and the lists Skills have to be at least C level.

jlaakso

Thu 23 Jun 2022, 13:03

Agreed, I was confused by this, as well, and don't really know how I'll run it at my table.

Grimmshade

Thu 23 Jun 2022, 14:51

Hmm, it looks like T2K Archetypes don't make you increase the key Attribute either. Alien uses it as a limit break.
So, assuming no fix from Free League, I'll probably use it as a suggestion for Attribute, say that only the three Skills listed can be raised to A Rank, and say that one of the Specialties chosen must be from the list.

In this book it's not too big a deal, but it will become more problematic if a future supplement has more diverse character types. (Soldier, Private Investigator, Journalist, Corporate Agent, etc.)

Kaybe

Thu 23 Jun 2022, 19:39

Most Year Zero games don't give a stat increase, but instead raise caps to attributes and skills during character creation.

And I too was confused about the whole different chinyen dice for archetypes that are merely suggestions and have no impact on character creation whatsoever.

baldrick0712

Sun 26 Jun 2022, 19:51

I really don't see an issue with this. A starting Enforcer might still end up having more cash than a starting Skimmer (due to the vagaries of the dice). In practice I think most players won't worry too much about it and will just go with the suggestions for Key Attribute, Key Skills and Specialties. If they have an idea for a character that doesn't fit neatly into any of the architypes the rules are just asking the Game Runner to think of a suitable chinyen die for that concept. On the home roll the Enforcer might anyway end up with a luxury penthouse suite and his Skimmer boss (Bryant) with a dingy flat above a bar. I don't think starting character balance was a big concern for FL. It's a gritty, neon-noir setting and not everyone is equal.