Bengt Petter

Re: Why only a Blade Runner character

Tue 28 Jun 2022, 17:19

Of course, it's up to each GM or group to make their own canon. That goes for any game or setting. Still, what's written in printed text will get a certain status.

CitizenZero

Tue 28 Jun 2022, 17:30

@bengt petter @vader - What do you mean when you say "toolkit?" Not sure if I understand what you are referring to.

Vader

Tue 28 Jun 2022, 18:08

O
@bengt petter @vader - What do you mean when you say "toolkit?" Not sure if I understand what you are referring to.

I’ll have to leave it to @Bengt Petter to answer that question properly.

For me, a “toolkit” can mean different things; most obviously sets of charts to allow generating a world or timeline in some more or less procedural manner (eg. a hexcrawl map).
I acknowledge that such tools can be very helpful for GMs in world creation, but, as I said, that would have to depend on what, exactly, one means with the word.

I still prefer the game to provide its own version of world history in some detail (preferably one that makes, y’know, sense), that I can relate to (and when appropriate, deviate from) when designing my own campaign.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

Grimmshade

Tue 28 Jun 2022, 18:16

I mean, some canon is just canon, and I want that stuff included in the book. I can make up adventures, or go against canon, but a timeline of canon things seems like a useful tool.

Bengt Petter

Tue 28 Jun 2022, 19:27

What Vader just said about toolkits is correct. Still, I would also add that toolkits provide a different and often more effective way to present setting information. You get a 1D10 (or any other dice) list of options instead of a longer narrative. Toolkits are common in OSR games.

Speaking of timelines and canon in Bladerunner - you could just pick stuff from the comic books. They are a part of the larger franchise canon, just like the two movies, the Youtube short films, and the animated HBO series. And as you probably already know, there will also be a live action TV series within a couple of years. When you put all the stuff together, I think the canon timeline will stretch over more than 100 years in total.

Vader

Tue 28 Jun 2022, 20:55

When you put all the stuff together, I think the canon timeline will stretch over more than 100 years in total.

...and it would be great if Ligan could compile that in expansions to make that whole period playable!
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

Bengt Petter

Tue 28 Jun 2022, 21:07

When you put all the stuff together, I think the canon timeline will stretch over more than 100 years in total.

...and it would be great if Ligan could compile that in expansions to make that whole period playable!

Sure. Another possibility is to first make it a forum thing.

This could be a good starting point: https://bladerunner.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline

And, as I said, there is plenty of stuff to pull out the comic books from Titan Comics. They cover a 30 year time span (since the origin series even predate the first movie). https://bladerunner.fandom.com/wiki/Cat ... tan_Comics