Oddball_E8

Re: T2k Support and Publishing Plans

Fri 07 Oct 2022, 12:59

Although I'm excited for Urban Operations (pre-ordered!), I'm wondering when Kickstarter backers will be receiving the Black Madonna adventure that we were promised and paid for during the 4e campaign. Any word on a release date for Black Madonna?
Last I heard, the main author was still recovering.

Personally, I'm fine with the "it's done when it's done" approach when the author is ill.

disziplin
Topic Author

Mon 05 Dec 2022, 18:40

As OP on this thread and in an effort to keep any discussion on this great game together, I am also a bit concerned about how FL seems to be downplaying this game; like it is not priority for them. In the most recent holiday gifting email "Free League Holiday Gift Guide 2022 - Bringing You to Other Worlds!", they suggest the following:

FREE LEAGUE HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE:
For the Adventurer - The One Ring™ Roleplaying Game
For the Curious Kid - Tales From the Loop - The Board Game
For the World-Weary Investigator - BLADE RUNNER RPG
For the Deep Space Daredevil - ALIEN RPG - Heart of Darkness
For the Mystery Solver - Vaesen - Seasons of Mystery
For the Brave Hero - Ruins of Symbaroum 5E
For the Street Smart Cyberpunk - CY_BORG
For the Treasure Hungry Explorer - Into the Odd Remastered
For the Space Traveller - Death in Space

No mention or consideration for T2k. I tend to see this as indicative of their recent trend of ignoring this game. It is very rare for them to refer to the game in any of their promo emails lately. Am I wrong about this trend, or do you agree?

Fenhorn

Mon 05 Dec 2022, 18:49

<>
No mention or consideration for T2k. I tend to see this as indicative of their recent trend of ignoring this game. It is very rare for them to refer to the game in any of their promo emails lately. Am I wrong about this trend, or do you agree?
Since the Russia-Ukraine war started (or technically escalated) this spring, FL have not done any big promo for T2K and they also explained why (I don't remember if it was in their stream or in the promo for the Urban Ops pre-order or both). So this is not something recent.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Praetorian_1974

Fri 16 Dec 2022, 16:02

As OP on this thread and in an effort to keep any discussion on this great game together, I am also a bit concerned about how FL seems to be downplaying this game; like it is not priority for them. In the most recent holiday gifting email "Free League Holiday Gift Guide 2022 - Bringing You to Other Worlds!", they suggest the following:

FREE LEAGUE HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE:
For the Adventurer - The One Ring™ Roleplaying Game
For the Curious Kid - Tales From the Loop - The Board Game
For the World-Weary Investigator - BLADE RUNNER RPG
For the Deep Space Daredevil - ALIEN RPG - Heart of Darkness
For the Mystery Solver - Vaesen - Seasons of Mystery
For the Brave Hero - Ruins of Symbaroum 5E
For the Street Smart Cyberpunk - CY_BORG
For the Treasure Hungry Explorer - Into the Odd Remastered
For the Space Traveller - Death in Space

I get where you are coming from, but as the core subject matter of the game is about Russian invasions and war, and there is currently a big war going on in Ukraine with Russia, it might not be the most apt game to be promoting at the moment.

maybe shelve T2K for now and play something else? Blade Runner is great

(but i would like some updates for foundry for this game :)

Midnightplat

Sat 17 Dec 2022, 00:57

Honestly, I'm not sure what folks are hoping to get of Black Madonna. Don't get me wrong the original T2K storyline (that started with Black Madonna and ended with Going Home) was definitely a great campaign. But I question what T2K players think it's going to bring to the game? As it is, we have all of Poland and a little over its borders at your disposal. And on the other end of the scale Urban Ops is bringing the game to even closer quarters than it already has.

The original T2K campaign is fairly well summarized all over the net, really between that and the stats in the core, all we're really missing is artwork. With the exception of Going Home, which provides a map of Germany.

Black Madonna is basically a nostalgia product (again, of a very good adventure). I'd say folks who really want "more" to their T2K4e should be clamoring for a revisit of the RDF sourcebook (present edition I think rightly demythologizes special operations from the 1e version in this book, but on top of the Mid East orders of Battle they could have rules for combat pilots and fixed wing and rotary aircraft in the last really oil rich battleground, Howling Wilderness (to see what's going on in America, heck while the phrase comes from a particularly American root, they could do these sorts of Atlases for the global war that never happened.

It sounds to me like Black Madonna is a labor of love by the original writer, and I actually think it's cool FL is letting it be that. I just think folks asking for it may not realize what it is. It's a kinda heisty adventure about a painting with high political value.

Tegyrius

Sat 17 Dec 2022, 15:35

It's also not like you can't play the original module without one of the 13,220 printed copies. DriveThruRPG has it in PDF for ten bucks. It shouldn't be that hard to adapt to 4e, especially with Urban Operations presumably providing better CQB rules to support movement and combat through the [redacted spoiler].

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/40 ... ck-Madonna

- C.
Clayton A. Oliver

Find my free Twilight: 2000 material and links to my published sourcebooks at http://www.de-fenestra.com/t2k/.

If you dislike change, you're going to dislike irrelevance even more.
- General Eric Shinseki

Vcutter

Mon 19 Dec 2022, 02:49

I totally ran Black Madonna about a month ago. I pretty much used only the basic idea and plot of the module with different maps etc. Luckily my group hadn't played it back in the day, and they loved it! The module is mostly just a sourcebook of the area and while it was really awesome back in the day well... Perhaps my GM style has changed or sometimes nostalgia can cloud the mind, but the module is not that usable imo. The basic concept and the "mcguffin" and final "scenario site" are definitely cool concepts that really shine, but you can make them work easily yourself.
If I understand correctly the author Frank Frey has some health issues. Hopefully he can overcome them because I too would like to see updated BM module made by the original author. But I agree with Teguriys and Midnighplat: it probably won't be a huge game changer when it comes to rules etc. and the best ideas of the original module work still totally with 4e as an adventure, especially with UO indoor rules.

I am happy now that UO came out. Of course I am looking forward to the river expansion and Warsaw too. Unfortunately, I think that the war in Ukraine will stall TW:2000 quite a bit and sadly I do not see an end to it for a while. BTW us not getting RPG sourcebooks is totally at the bottom of the list of tragedies it causes...so kinda wan't to avoid bitching about it too much.
I think we got "ucky with UO: FL was so far with it's development that they pretty much had to launch it despite the situation. As for development on other sourcebooks, sure they continue but my hunch is that they are not very high in their list of priorities. Hope I'm wrong.

CWGamer

Wed 21 Dec 2022, 14:26

Maybe move the focus away from Europe, at least for the time being?

Heffe

Wed 28 Dec 2022, 00:43

Maybe move the focus away from Europe, at least for the time being?
This was one of the other reasons why a bunch of us wanted to do the Canon Plus/Community Timeline Project. Opening up the setting only provides more opportunities for interesting campaigns, and converts it from a simulation of Soviets invading everywhere into more of a post-nuke dystopian modern RPG with REDFOR forces as just one of many potential antagonists for a group of player characters.

When it comes to future publishing plans, I'd love for them to fall into one of a few broad categories:
Rules expansions - UO is great, and I'm looking forward to Hostile Waters for water-based combat. A future supplement for aircraft would also be a welcome addition, or fine-tuning some of the rules for things like specialized heavy weapons to add some additional depth there.
Setting expansions - There's word that both an Operation RESET and a future US-based module are somewhere in the works. I can't wait for both of these! After those, I'd also love to understand what happened in the following locations, probably in this order: The Middle East (we tackled this some with Canon Plus, but an actual FL supplement would be amazing), what's going on inside Russia itself, and what's happening with Finland and how the war played out there. I also wouldn't mind getting ahold of more information about what happened to the various German, French, and Soviet forces that aren't already included in the 4e box set.
Campaign modules - This is where I see books like Black Madonna falling. Dedicated adventure modules and campaigns to help breed ideas in Refs and players.

Rules Expansions help to define the sandbox experience. Setting expansions increase the size of the sandbox. Campaign modules increase the depth of the sandbox.

fentiger

Mon 16 Jan 2023, 11:20

<>
Since the Russia-Ukraine war started (or technically escalated) this spring, FL have not done any big promo for T2K and they also explained why (I don't remember if it was in their stream or in the promo for the Urban Ops pre-order or both). So this is not something recent.
You assume of course that well check their stream...we dont or at least i dont, i think a more traditional method of delivering news, i,e their website would reach a lot more people and stop a lot of this , but hey what do i do know?