Viperion_NZ

Re: T2k Support and Publishing Plans

Tue 28 Jun 2022, 12:27

but I imagine they are concerned about discussions and new releases for the game being picked up in the press and taken out of context.
Which would be a valid concern, for sure. But you have to imagine it, because they haven't said one way or the other. And so the customers are left in the dark about it.

Vader

Tue 28 Jun 2022, 14:54

I think the war in Ukraine has made everyone (games publishers included) very wary of putting out content that makes light in any way, the continuing conflict in eastern Europe. I doubt that FL have dropped the product, but I imagine they are concerned about discussions and new releases for the game being picked up in the press and taken out of context. At least that's my take on it.

If this is true, then it is truly a sad testament to the deplorable state the culture war offence activists have rendered Western culture into in merely thirty years.

Back in the days of Desert Storm/Desert Shield, games companies (and plastic model companies, and book publishers, and...) clamoured to release products that one way or another tried to tie-in with the ongoing conflict.

If anything, I feel that made the world a better place at the time, not worse; better able to collectively cope with the ongoing crisis, not less.

So, I am hopeful this is not the underlying cause; that it's just such a common hick-up as you will find in any release schedule that's holding up the product.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

Fenhorn

Tue 28 Jun 2022, 15:07

A lot of guesses and factoids. Sure, lack of information will do that. We don't know why this has been delayed, but FL don't want to have to many kickstarters/pre-orders running at the same time so that could be a reason. Another reason could be that, even though BR and T2K have different setting writers, Tomas is the "rule-guy" for both those games and BR of course contains rules, but UO also will contain more game stuff. Could also be production issues (UO will contains markers, maps and stuff).

Hopefully they will at least inform what the plan is, soon.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Ser Stevos

Tue 28 Jun 2022, 18:38

If this is true, then it is truly a sad testament to the deplorable state the culture war offence activists have rendered Western culture into in merely thirty years.

Back in the days of Desert Storm/Desert Shield, games companies (and plastic model companies, and book publishers, and...) clamoured to release products that one way or another tried to tie-in with the ongoing conflict.

If anything, I feel that made the world a better place at the time, not worse; better able to collectively cope with the ongoing crisis, not less.

So, I am hopeful this is not the underlying cause; that it's just such a common hick-up as you will find in any release schedule that's holding up the product.

I had the exact same thoughts. One of the reasons why I believed that the Ukraine War was not the reason for the delay. After all, original Twilight came out at the height of the Cold War! I leaned more toward production issues or too much on Free League's plate but now, I think it's a combination of both. I hate to continue with the speculation but I'm definitely frustrated at a lack of new information especially when the rulebook for Urban Operations was said to be practically finished.

Vcutter

Wed 29 Jun 2022, 02:02

Gonna add to the "worrying rumour mill" a bit more...
The Fria Ligan Twitter actively avoids mentioning TW2000. In fact it was mentioned only briefly in tweets regarding some convention and thats it.
Is there something going on with the licencing? I just wish they would inform the fans of what is going on. This silence is not good PR or customer relations.
"Look guys, we think with the war going on in europe we need ro revise UO a bit, it will be delayed to XXX", "Look guys, we had some issues with the production, we will be up for pre-order roughly around XXX"
If the delay is due to Ukraine and the war is FL going to just sweep TW2000 under the rug for as long as the war goes on? Cos unfortunately that will probably be far more than a few months.
Like Vader I too played the original during the cold war. I still have enough faith in humanity that people recognize the difference between entertainment and real life war tragedy.

Heffe

Wed 29 Jun 2022, 20:28

I'll only add this, that while I'm certainly eager to see the UO material get released (aren't we all), I'm not terribly worried about T2k as a product line at the moment. Sure, there's been a dearth of info lately from FL, but that could be for any number of reasons, and very few of them are particularly nefarious in nature. Publishing material and product management in this space is complex enough, and granted, FL has more experience doing it than most, but there's a lot that can happen behind the scenes to delay a release, even setting aside the possibility of delay due to the war. And hell, on the topic of the war, I'd also note that Sweden's attempting to join NATO at the moment, and Turkey just said yesterday that they'd approve the move. For all we know, there could be some local concerns in Sweden that are impacting their decisions to release material as well that we may not be privy to - I'm not saying the geopolitical forces care what a game company releases, but certainly other Swedes have a lot of opinions on the topic of the war and joining NATO and what their domestic businesses are up to.

Anyhow, I'm sure we'll hear more soon enough, and would just advise everyone to try to be as patient as possible.

Vader

Wed 29 Jun 2022, 23:48

For all we know, there could be some local concerns in Sweden that are impacting their decisions to release material as well that we may not be privy to […] certainly other Swedes have a lot of opinions on the topic of the war and joining NATO and what their domestic businesses are up to.

We can be reasonably certain this is not a factor, I believe.

Rather, the ongoing global issues with logistics and the supply of paper stock are a much likelier reason for delays.

If you look around in the subforums, I believe you may find that this is not the only product people are wondering about, and where there is a perceived shortage of information. And Ligan is far from the only company in a similar situation.

Like @Heffe said: we’ll know all in good time. In the meanwhile, let’s don’t fret.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

Tomas
Site Admin

Thu 30 Jun 2022, 22:03

Hello everyone!

Sorry, I meant to reply sooner here. The work with Urban Operations is proceeding and nearing the finish line. The module has grown since we first envisioned it and we needed to make some revisions, which have take more time than planned. We plan to launch a pre-order, but only after the PDF of the module is fully done so pre-order customers can get the PDF immediately. We don't have a date for the pre-order yet, but right now I would estimate mid- to late summer.
As for the general silence about Twilight: 2000, yes the war in Ukraine has had some impact, as we felt it was not the right time to make lots of PR for a war game that suddenly became a lot more real than most of us expected. But that does not mean work on the modules for the game has slowed down.
Fria Ligan

Vader

Fri 01 Jul 2022, 00:08

Hello everyone!

Sorry, I meant to reply sooner here. The work with Urban Operations is proceeding and nearing the finish line. The module has grown since we first envisioned it and we needed to make some revisions, which have take more time than planned.

Thanks for letting us know Tomas. Really appreciate it!

Vcutter

Fri 01 Jul 2022, 00:50

Really appreciate the update! Thank you so much for the info. Can’t wait to get my pre-order in.
Totally understand the discretion regarding ”war as entertainment” when it comes to ads and social media now but we were starting to worry a bit.
Good to hear that the material has also expanded and Im sure its worth the wait.