Fenhorn

Re: T2k Support and Publishing Plans

Mon 22 Aug 2022, 18:38

I am looking forward for letting my players visit Karlsborg and of course Karlsborg Fortress. My grandparents lived there so I spent a lot of time there when I was a kid, although back then, I was more interested in the obstacle course than in the fortress, regardless of the ghost stories and of course the airport when they had air shows.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Vader

Mon 22 Aug 2022, 19:21

I am looking forward for letting my players visit Karlsborg and of course Karlsborg Fortress. My grandparents lived there so I spent a lot of time there when I was a kid, although back then, I was more interested in the obstacle course than in the fortress, regardless of the ghost stories and of course the airport when they had air shows.

My go-to place in the Fortress was always the museum. An absolutely brilliant place, back in the 70's-80's ... visited it literally dozens of times.

But would we really call F6 an airport? More of an air base, wasn't it?
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

Fenhorn

Mon 22 Aug 2022, 20:14

<>
I was wondering that when I wrote it. Fortifikationsverket calls it an airport.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Vader

Mon 22 Aug 2022, 20:27

I was wondering that when I wrote it. Fortifikationsverket calls it an airport.

I suspect that comes about from the formal term for the facility housing the air wing — the base, as it were — in Swedish being "militär flygplats", which would translate directly to "military airport". But it seems to me that this kind of facility is more generally termed "air base", "air station", or "air force base" in English.

The directly translated term for air bases in Swedish — "flygbas" — tends to be used specifically in reference to the dispersal air bases used in wartime.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

Ursus Maior

Mon 22 Aug 2022, 23:21

Sounds promising!

...interesting way to deploy a tank, though ... a captured mobility-kill? ...but a T-80 in Karlsborg? ...and isn't that a BVM? In 2000?!?
Umm....
Guess we'll find out soon enough!
The T-80BVM is virtually indistinguishable on such a drawing from its predecessor the T-80BV. The latter was introduced in 1985, so that would work.
liber & infractus

Vader

Tue 23 Aug 2022, 00:17

isn't that a BVM? In 2000?!?

The T-80BVM is virtually indistinguishable on such a drawing from its predecessor the T-80BV. The latter was introduced in 1985, so that would work.

Dunno … think that looks quite distinctly like the Relikt tile configuration on the BVM. Seem to recall the ERA on the BV is configured rather differently.

Vader

Tue 23 Aug 2022, 10:10

Hmm ... had a closer look and saw that T-80BVM and Relikt doesn't seem to be it, after all — T-72B3 and Kontakt-5 seems much closer to the mark.

Or what do you think?

Image may not show in all browsers. Try opening in separate tab or window.

Which does exactly nothing about the base issue, though — it'd be quite a stretch to place the T-72B3 in 2000...

Ursus Maior

Mon 29 Aug 2022, 08:24

Snap, I think you're spot-on with that identification!

Hm, it could pass of for a T-72BA. I'm a bit in a hurry and haven't done a proper "counting" of the ERA tiles, but it seems to work out: https://www.recomonkey.com/Land-Platfor ... -72/T-72BA

The problem with the BA is that it has a very distinctive round IR light installed to the turret front. These were dropped with the B2, but the T-72B2 Rogatka was never adopted for production and there was just one prototype produced in 2006.

The whole wedge shaped add-on turret armor seems to have been introduced to the T-72 model line by copying from the T-80 line of models. So, unless we allow for an explanation ex nihilo, e. g. that the 1980s vintage IR light is simply missing (lost, destroyed, disrepair), it seems we're looking at a T-72 model of the later 2000s or probably early 2010s at best.

It's not the first time such an anachronistic artifact appears in FL's T2K iteration, though. ;)
liber & infractus

videopete

Mon 12 Sep 2022, 07:12

Twilight 2000 kind of occupies wierd place as a rpg because it can be both pro and anti war with out changing a thing. It let's people play with the tools of two major powers kind of giving a sense of power fantasy, while at the same time not softening (too much) the horrors of war. Horrible things happen in conflicts, people suffer. Also the fact that Russia is kind of the default antagonist in most people's games and it could be thought of as a anti Russian product, which is funny because it's not, but it is. It can be all those things, and none of them.
I've used the game to bum out people before, and give them a hooah gasm.
This is an amazing game that at its basic does what RPGs are meant to, experience a world or scenario that one normally either can't or too risky too.

ottarrus

Thu 15 Sep 2022, 23:19

When T2K originally came out way back in nineteen eight-[mumble], I was an active duty soldier in the US Army.
It INSTANTLY replaced all other RPGs in my squadron's geek crew [squadron = battalion, I was in cavalry unit]. It was awesome! We got all the toys and none of the 'stupid shit' our commanders laid on us. Yes, I know now that there was a purpose to most [but certainly not all] the stupid shit, but 19-year-old me was wholly ignorant of that fact :lol:
And yes, it WAS surreal to think that the 8th Shock Army across the way could cross the line and that we'd all be stranded in Europe without a way home. That was the first reality check the game gave us. I was reading a bunch of the stuff one night on Charge of Quarters duty and got to talking to the staff NCO who was my boss that night. I told him about the Great Game [the GDW strategic house game that provided the bridge between T2K and 2300AD] and the strategies used by both sides. When I mentioned that 90 percent of the nukes targeted oil production, transfer, and storage facilities instead of the 'usual suspects' that most pundits thought would get hit, he thought about it for a second and said, "Damn... Given everything we know about their capabilities, that a pretty damned good guess as to what they'd do."
The next day, the squadron S2 [the battalion intelligence officer] asked to borrow the game to Xerox the canned history. And this was back when there was exactly THREE Xerox machines in the whole squadron... one each for Operations, Intelligence and Personnel. The cost per copy was something like 15 cents per page in 1985 dollars and the Army accounted for every single cent of it.
[The Star Fleet Battles guys were cutting their ship diagram books apart with X-acto knives and carefully putting the pages in document protectors so they could play the game using grease pencils]

So, yeah, T2K rang a lot of bells way back when. And as we dug into the rules it became clear to us just how easy is was to die from utterly non-combat related causes. One guy in the Bradley IFV gets a cough and all the sudden everybody in the crew has pneumonia and there isn't a vial of antibiotics within 10 square klicks.... And that's not even getting into the NBC [CBRN to Europeans] causes, or social breakdown problems [banditry, farmers being driven off the land so no harvests, even cannibalism].

T2K can definitely give you the hooah-gasm, and it should at times, but it should also have those dirt-level sobering moments that remind your characters are much a part of the problems Poland/Sweden is suffering as the Communists are. No matter how noble your intentions, the locals would probably be a whole lot better off if you'd never come there to begin with.