Grimmshade

Re: Early Access Feedback - Personal/Vehicles Armor is Useless

Fri 17 Jun 2022, 16:51

I'll just go with the houserule that humans can only roll a d6 crit die against a vehicle with a blunt weapon.
(I kind of like the idea that a really strong replicant might punch through a vehicle.)
Or just give unarmed and melee weapons crit dice like ranged weapons. You're already doing more damage and have a higher chance of landing crits by rolling better dice on your attack.
The non-blunt melee have Crit ratings. I think that they just wanted Strength to weigh heavily on Crits.

I like your idea that armor removes crits from covered areas. It's an easy houserule and makes the penalties more worth it. (It does make vehicles even more tricky, as they are entirely covered with their own armor... I guess just don't use the houserule for vehicles.) I want to see it all in play first, but I might use that houserule and mine about the d6 max Crit for humans vs vehicles.

paladin2019

Fri 17 Jun 2022, 17:53

and of course the vehicle technically would just have to be there, standing still, otherwise I don't see how you could melee attacking it at all.
I suppose it's totally unlikely that anyone would try to imitate TJ Hooker in this setting....

Kaybe
Topic Author

Fri 17 Jun 2022, 18:57

Another possible rule is that vehicle armor specifically cannot take critical injury from anything but firearms or vehicle weapons. Perhaps that could be a better option to allow big blunt hammers being options for high strength characters in close combat. I kinda like the idea of some types of weapons using someone's strength die as it's crit die. I just don't want to roundhouse kick a car so hard it blows up as that's drifting into anime territory ;)

doc-t

Sat 18 Jun 2022, 01:18

This effectively makes armor useless.
It can still reduce damage...

Grimmshade

Sat 18 Jun 2022, 02:52

Another possible rule is that vehicle armor specifically cannot take critical injury from anything but firearms or vehicle weapons. Perhaps that could be a better option to allow big blunt hammers being options for high strength characters in close combat. I kinda like the idea of some types of weapons using someone's strength die as it's crit die. I just don't want to roundhouse kick a car so hard it blows up as that's drifting into anime territory ;)
That's why I suggest the d6 max crit die for human melee vs vehicles. You just get broken windshields and stuff with a d6 (D) level crit dice. All the other rules stay intact.

Kaybe
Topic Author

Sat 18 Jun 2022, 16:57

Another potential option I was running around my head is that armor reduces the size of the crit die. So D armor doesn't reduce at all, C armor reduces once, B armor reduces it twice, and A armor reduces it three times. Anything that's reduced below a D6 can't do crits at all against this armor.

Tancred

Sun 19 Jun 2022, 06:06

Another potential option I was running around my head is that armor reduces the size of the crit die. So D armor doesn't reduce at all, C armor reduces once, B armor reduces it twice, and A armor reduces it three times. Anything that's reduced below a D6 can't do crits at all against this armor.
That's a good idea - makes armour more useful but doesn't increase the book-keeping very much. Doesn't solve the car punching issue though, as civilian cars and trucks have D armour. It's more to remember, but vehicles bumping the armour crit die up 2 levels versus personal scale weapons would seem to work - means best crit die will be d8 vs a vehicle, and being armoured makes that less likely. A vehicle with A or B armour can't be critted at all by personal firearms or melee attacks then.

Kaybe
Topic Author

Sun 19 Jun 2022, 13:49

That's a good idea - makes armour more useful but doesn't increase the book-keeping very much. Doesn't solve the car punching issue though, as civilian cars and trucks have D armour. It's more to remember, but vehicles bumping the armour crit die up 2 levels versus personal scale weapons would seem to work - means best crit die will be d8 vs a vehicle, and being armoured makes that less likely. A vehicle with A or B armour can't be critted at all by personal firearms or melee attacks then.
I was thinking about that also, but then you'd have to make sure to label something like an anti-vehicle human carried weapon like a rocket launcher as being anti-vehicle. I mean, not too difficult, but just something to keep in mind. I'm sure some underworld elements carry those specifically to deal with things like police spinners.

grindoctor

Sun 19 Jun 2022, 16:12

"Also, why roll for armor? If the goal of Blade Runner is to streamline the rules, why not just use static armor values like in T2K?

Please just use the T2K approach to armor and critical hits. It's simpler and it works. No need to reinvent the wheel here. Thanks."

Second the original post. If keeping the die rolling down by using the T2K-dice instead of the MYZ-dice, then why make armor rolls at all. Keep it simple with fixed armor values.

Tancred

Mon 20 Jun 2022, 09:44

"Also, why roll for armor? If the goal of Blade Runner is to streamline the rules, why not just use static armor values like in T2K?

Please just use the T2K approach to armor and critical hits. It's simpler and it works. No need to reinvent the wheel here. Thanks."

Second the original post. If keeping the die rolling down by using the T2K-dice instead of the MYZ-dice, then why make armor rolls at all. Keep it simple with fixed armor values.
True, fixed armour does seem the simplest and best suited to a goal of keeping things streamlined.