Kaybe
Topic Author

Blade Runner characters are far more skilled than Twilight 2000 characters?

Thu 16 Jun 2022, 19:13

So I'm just reading through character creation in the Blade Runner early access PDF and I came across something puzzling.

In Blade Runner, all skills have a baseline of (D) D6, and then a Seasoned character (+3 Attributes) gets +10 skill bumps on top of that baseline of D.

In Twilight 2000, all skills have a baseline of (F) nothing, the base character in Archetype creation has +3 attributes like Seasoned above, and gets +10 skill bump equivalent from that base of nothing (one B, two C, three D).

So according to this, Blade Runner starting characters start with a whopping 12 point skill advantage over Twilight 2000 characters. Am I missing something?

Fenhorn

Re: Blade Runner characters are far more skilled than Twilight 2000 characters?

Thu 16 Jun 2022, 19:19

... and in Forbidden Lands you start with a melee weapon and in Mutant: Year Zero, you have mutations.

Twilight: 2000 and Blade Runner are two different games. T2K4E is a survival game and Blade Runner is a mystery game. Rules and characters are built to reflect what type of game it is.

edit: Technically in order for the simplified T2K system they use in BR to work, the characters needed to have at least D in their skills (at least this is my guess).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Grimmshade

Thu 16 Jun 2022, 19:27

Agreed. If you don't have a D in a skill, then Disadvantage means you can't roll. It's just a rules tweak for the setting mechanics.

Kaybe
Topic Author

Thu 16 Jun 2022, 19:32

Yeah, the issue with Disadvantage would indeed require a minimum of two dice, you're absolutely right. I didn't catch that.

In the end, it doesn't really matter if we assume everything in the BR RPG is balanced against each other. I just felt it strange that standard training in one setting would so severely weak compared to standard training in another.

Tomas
Site Admin

Fri 17 Jun 2022, 15:22

While I certainly agree that the Twilight: 2000 rules work well - after all, I wrote those as well ;) - but Twilight: 2000 is a very different game with a radically different tone, style, and gameplay. We always adapt the Year Zero Engine drastically to fit the game in question. So saying that something works in Twilight: 2000 and should therefore be exactly the same in Blade Runner is simply not in line with our design philosophy.
Fria Ligan