jlaakso

Re: Early Access Feedback - Core Rulebook Chapter 8

Sat 25 Jun 2022, 21:40

190: The Crime Lab: "This world-renowned think tank is at your disposal, boasting an army of insatiably curious minds that dive down every rabbit hole, obsess over every detail, and inexhaustibly collect, analyze, and deliver physical, medical, and digital evidence that identifies leads, proves theories, and closes cases more than you care to admit."
The phrase "insatiably curious minds" is a repeat from the previous time the book discussed the Crime Lab, can't remember the context. Delete or rephrase one or the other.

jlaakso

Sat 25 Jun 2022, 21:42

191: expected image of a cat with Coco

jlaakso

Sat 25 Jun 2022, 21:43

192: Synthetic Support: "Older generations frown upon augs, but younger Specials don’t possess the same aversion to synthetics as those who endured the Blackout and Human Supremacy Riots."
First mention of 'augs', would expect the full word (augmentation) here.

jlaakso

Sat 25 Jun 2022, 21:46

193, Synthetic Augmentations: "Realistically, “augs” are ungodly expensive and require dicey medical procedures, intensive post-op healing, and ongoing upkeep."
Confused by "realistically" — we've just covered the wholly magical Esper machines in this chapter.

jlaakso

Sat 25 Jun 2022, 21:46

193, Synthetic Augmentations: "Getting tune ups are tricky when it’s grafted into your spine."
Expecting: "Getting tune ups is tricky when it’s grafted into your spine."

jlaakso

Sat 25 Jun 2022, 21:48

193, Synthetic Augmentations: "As anti-Nexus prejudices fester, many humans covet their organic bodies like some VIP pass to a better life."
I would expect some mention here of the fact that the vast majority of people on Earth are considered Specials — unfit, in most cases physically, for service/life in space. Thus augmenting might be seen as desirable, when you've all been branded defective.

jlaakso

Sat 25 Jun 2022, 21:51

193, Synthetic Augmentations: I'd expect a cost difference in chop-shop vs premium clinic. There's the die roll advantage for exclusive premises, but I don't see any reason to not go there if the price is the same.

jlaakso

Sun 26 Jun 2022, 00:41

203, Public Transportation: not a typo. I'm having a hard time buying the "fossil fuels are expensive, and there's too much looting to park safely" line of reasoning for LA going car-less. US cities are built exclusively for cars, with ample guarded parking space everywhere, and while indeed it looks like things have changed dramatically for the BR universe, the logic doesn't work for me.

Vader

Sun 26 Jun 2022, 02:05

A bit of cultural context:

203, Public Transportation: not a typo. I'm having a hard time buying the "fossil fuels are expensive, and there's too much looting to park safely" line of reasoning for LA going car-less. US cities are built exclusively for cars, with ample guarded parking space everywhere, and while indeed it looks like things have changed dramatically for the BR universe, the logic doesn't work for me.

Same as with advertising directed at children being perceived as a violation, and various other statements here and there in the text — what shines through in the prose seems to merely be typical for such perspectives, assumptions, and paradigms that decades of political discussion have rendered endemic to present-day Swedish culture. We tend to take their validity as universal truths for granted.

It would of course be highly desirable to see them edited to something more suitable to the American setting, but I am not sure it is practically possible. Or that the authors would be interested.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Sun 26 Jun 2022, 11:33

A bit of cultural context:

Same as with advertising directed at children being perceived as a violation, and various other statements here and there in the text — what shines through in the prose seems to merely be typical for such perspectives, assumptions, and paradigms that decades of political discussion have rendered endemic to present-day Swedish culture. We tend to take their validity as universal truths for granted.

It would of course be highly desirable to see them edited to something more suitable to the American setting, but I am not sure it is practically possible. Or that the authors would be interested.
Just a quick comment to this - the setting texts are written by an American (Joe LeFavi), not a Swedish person.
Fria Ligan