doc-t

Re: Early Access Feedback - Core Rulebook Chapter 8

Tue 21 Jun 2022, 00:28

page 187, schematics, 2: "PHOTO/CD-ROM INPUT DRIVE". Page 098 has a list of data technology, but CD-ROM is not on it. Do you mean "data disc" instead? But according to page 098, these are considered outdated.

Kaybe

Tue 21 Jun 2022, 22:01

Observation: Despite being more modern and more expensive, the FKM890 seems objectively worse to the 5223, especially given it's best damage option still does crushing crits and a smaller crit die (basically, much less stopping power). Given that K in the movie is definitely a Retirement oriented Blade Runner, it makes little sense for him to have chosen a much less lethal weapon. Only advantage FKM890 has is it's non-lethal sonic round has a longer range.

Recommendation: balance out those two PKDs so that they have equal pros and cons. Also set cost of FKM890 to 1 instead of 2. Or keep the cost at 2, but make it a noticeably superior firearm.

Note: description of double-set trigger advises both barrels fire at once. Assumed to the 2 damage Sonic Blast option, but perhaps I am misreading it and it in fact shoots both the 1 (D6 crushing) and the 2 (D10 crushing) *at the same time*.

Vader

Wed 22 Jun 2022, 09:29

p.178: "Pistols and Rifles" and ".357 Subcompact"

First paragraph:

...the most common back-up is a tiny four-barreled subcompact pistol, which packs a punch with two .357 round barrels firing at once

Weapon description:

4-SHOT CAPACITY

A four-barrelled weapon can hardly at the same time have a four shot capacity and discharge two barrels with every shot. It would need eight barrels for that to add up.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

paladin2019

Wed 22 Jun 2022, 19:38

That would be a four shot capacity and discharging 2 shots per attack. This is like saying the assault rifle isn't really a 30 shot capacity because it's shooting 3 or 10 round or longer bursts. <shrug>

Vader

Wed 22 Jun 2022, 20:14

Okay, I'll bite — even though discussing each others' input isn't really what this thread is for. Call this a clarification, then:

A burst you can control becomes a different thing. But if your weapon is rigged to always fire two rounds, as is the implication here (the weapon only has one set of stats), then four rounds will only allow you to shoot twice — you get two shots.

If you say a weapon has "four shots", then the implication is that you'll be able to shoot four times. If you actually mean "rounds", then say "rounds"!

It's like the G11 — you could justifiably say that you got 15 shots out of a full magazine in burst mode.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

Wusashicat

Wed 22 Jun 2022, 21:05

pg.180: "LONG-RANGE BARREL: Single-shot bolt-action barrel, which can house and fire one .222 cartridge at a time for long-range targeting. Fitting or removing this barrel counts as an action in combat."

This is the only time it's mentioned that using this barrel costs an action. It may beneficial to include this on the sample characters who have this weapon as well. If I were running a game I would not think to look for weapon-specific rules in the core rulebook. Also, no other weapon has special rules so there are no heuristics guiding me to look for weapon-specific rules either.

paladin2019

Thu 23 Jun 2022, 01:50

Shots means how many cartridges a gun holds. That's the definition. Just because the Blade Runner version of the COP shoots two shots at once doesn't change that. There's also no definition of how flavor text is integrated into the rules. Nothing in the equipment description defines how this two-shot thing works. Is it a burst and attacks with advantage? Is the significantly lower damage (both base and crit die) compared to the full size version really the game's implementation of two shots? (For the errata-minded) Given that the current system doesn't have an action cost to reload, it's just a confusing statement in flavor text, anyway.

Vader

Thu 23 Jun 2022, 08:37

The two-barrels discharging at once clearly comes from the fact that the COP .357 prop in Brion James’s hand was modified to fire two barrels at once to enhance the muzzle flash effect (which would have led me to speculate that the weapon is not intended to be interpreted as a simple Derringer, but … oh, well).

So they do not fire in a “burst”; they fire simultaneously. The stats must therefore describe the compound effect of two bullets.

The way the text is written, the weapon can fire exactly twice between reloads. Call that “four shots” if you will; for my own part, I will not.

And as for that semantic discussion … yes, there is confusion due to the fact that in one meaning, “shot” can be used synonymously to “round”. But that is not “the” definition; merely “a” definition — the word has multiple meanings. For which reason I repeat: if you mean “4-shot capacity” in the specific meaning of “4-round capacity”, then saying “4-round capacity” will cause less confusion.
“Flavour text” or no.

jlaakso

Sat 25 Jun 2022, 21:23

180, "PK-D 5223 Blaster": "AMMO: Five-shot cylinder with five .44 10mm caseless rounds."
It's one or the other: .44 is bigger than 10mm (11.176 mm).

jlaakso

Sat 25 Jun 2022, 21:34

186, "Medical Services, Stimulants, & Pharmaceuticals": "ZLLSH" — no idea if this is a typo, but if not, would appreciate a pronunciation tip