shenotski

Re: Early Access Feedback - Core Rulebook Chapter 4

Mon 20 Jun 2022, 06:37

I'm going to add that stress and resolve being interlinked does get confusing, especially when you are broken. It comes off as if when you recover stress you roll to risk permanently losing resolve instead of after being broken. I'd suggest simply leaving it as Stress and have the roll for recovering from bring broken from stress.

Kaybe

Mon 20 Jun 2022, 14:05

Page 74 - Suffering Stress.

Request for clarification: the line "By going more than three Shifts without Downtime". Is that one stress per extra shift without Downtime or one stress total? I imagine it's one stress per extra shift but would request it to be written that way to avoid confusion.

DerFoxeh

Mon 20 Jun 2022, 16:31

Gods this looks fantastic.

Quick comments:

P065, Cramped - I would rephrase to "You cannot move past individuals, nor shoot at targets behind them"

And I think the only mechanic that needs to be reworked is Health and Resolve. For example, your sample character has only 3 Resolve. If during the example for Push, they had rolled snake eyes they could have been driven insane by being tied to a chair. The fact that permanent resolve loss is checked on a per-point-recovered basis means that you can go *permanently insane* (effectively die) as a result of pushing a roll badly.

In practical terms this means that, even if Replicants can push a roll twice, they can't ever take advantage of it. Your *average* Replicant has a resolve of 2 - they get dropped even if they *don't* get a 1 on either die.

Quick fix: Change permanent resolve loss to only be 1 point when recovering from Broken, and change Hardened so that you can buy it as many times as you want but you cannot raise your permanent Resolve above your base value +3 (this can be things like trauma counseling, etc).

I would also double the Health/Resolve pool IMO, since you can potentially be killed with one bullet and that's less fun.

doc-t

Mon 20 Jun 2022, 19:23

Just for sake of clarification ...

I see standing up is a free action done as part of a move. I see dropping down or diving into cover are also free actions done as part of a move.

On Page 68, it says picking up an object counts as a move rather being a free action done as a part of a move? So how does that affect everything else surrounding the move 'action'? Can you stand up (free action during a move) and also pick up an object, but no more? Or do the free actions that are part of a move only work with actual movement move? I'm also wondering if there's a typo here somewhere and if it's meant to be a free action as part of your move instead.
Page 068: "During combat, picking up a dropped object counts as a move."

I understand "counts as a move" as picking up that object IS the one move the PC has in the turn. As a "move" is a move, and page 067 says "if you are prone
you can stand up at the start of your move – this is a free action," it seems clear to me, that it is possible to stand up AND pick up an object, but then not also change zone or distance in the same zone as part of the same move.

As this is all during Combat, I understand, that picking up an object while preventing someone from smashing your head is not a free action but requires effort, concentration, and time.

doc-t

Mon 20 Jun 2022, 19:28

Page 068: "During combat, picking up a dropped object counts as a move." As written, this suggests that an object to be able to be picked up needed to be dropped by a Combatant before. While this might be the usual case, it would prevent (or at least not include the case) of an object already on the ground without having been dropped.

I suggest to remove the word "dropped" from the sentence.

doc-t

Wed 22 Jun 2022, 00:35

page 074: "Stress Factor of the event (i.e., the amount of potential stress it inflicts) from 1 to 3 (see the table to the right)." the table then has a row with stress 3+, which could be more than 3, hence rendering the previous sentence wrong.

"Stress Factor of the event (i.e., the amount of potential stress it inflicts) from 1 to 3 (or more, see the table to the right)." would be correct.

doc-t

Wed 22 Jun 2022, 00:39

page 075: "When you have suffered stress equal to or in excess of your Resolve rating, you are Broken by stress and suffer a critical stress effect" vs. page 071: "If you drop to zero Health, you are Broken by the damage."

While broken by stress includes suffering a critical effect, broken by damage does not. Is this intentional or an oversight?

doc-t

Re: Permanent loss of Resolve

Wed 22 Jun 2022, 00:58

Over on rpg.net, it was clarified that permanent loss of Resolve can only happen when recovering from been broken, not every time a point of Resolve is regained. I think this is not clear from the rulebook at all, and while I don't think this is an error, per se, I'd like to see it spelled out more explicitly in the final version of the rulebook.

Moderator Message: I moved this post to the errata thread because I do think this should be addressed.
Yikes! Good catch. Hadn't noticed that, but you're right. As written, it would make it seem like you risk permanent loss when regaining ANY point of Resolve, even just natural gain during downtime.
"When recovering from being Broken by Stress you must roll one Base Die corresponding to your Empathy rating. If you roll (a one), one point of Resolve is permanently lost, meaning your maximum Resolve is reduced one step." would be a much clearer and better rule.

Arianrhod

Wed 22 Jun 2022, 19:51

P065, Cramped - I would rephrase to "You cannot move past individuals, nor shoot at targets behind them"
"Behind" doesn't really work in the case that the individual is in front of you and your target is in front of them, though.

Kaybe

Fri 01 Jul 2022, 19:04

Page 80 - Critical Damage - Clarification needed.

The new rules concerning critical damage vs vehicles indicates all Close Combat attacks are limited to D6 crit die. Since new Close Combat rules are basically every attack from Engaged range, including Firearms, does this mean firearms are also limited in this way? Or is just meant for attacks using the Hand to Hand Combat skill?

P.S: Not while I'm very positive on the changes so that even Firearms are opposed at Engaged range, I would personally recommend keeping the melee skill as Close Combat and instead just creating a text block before that stating that ALL attacks done at Engaged range, regardless of weapon or skill, can be opposed by whatever skill and weapon the target is currently equipping. This would alleviate any concerns about mentions involving the words Close Combat later in other sections of the book. And Close Combat as a skill name covering melee and unarmed makes more sense since most people associate the words Hand to Hand Combat as being unarmed, at least from the perspective of a native English speaker.