Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Beta Feedback - Book of Beasts Chapter 3: Gamemaster Tools

Wed 15 Jun 2022, 20:01

Hi!

Please use this thread to report any typos or errors in Chapter 3 (Gamemaster Tools) of the Beta PDF of the Book of Beasts. Guidelines to remember:
  • Before reporting an error, please check and see if it already has been reported, and if so, don't report it again.
  • If you want to discuss or feedback something that is not a clear error, don't do it here - instead, please start a new forum post the specific issue.
Please report your feedback no later than July 15 2022. After this date, we are likely not able to make any further changes.

Thank you!
Fria Ligan

AttentionHorse

Re: Beta Feedback - Book of Beasts Chapter 3: Gamemaster Tools

Wed 15 Jun 2022, 20:12

Page 143, Books, Ballads and Grimoires

In the "Type of Book" table, what does "gives d6 XP in a talent/skill" mean? That's the first time there's such a rule in FL. I feel like there's some explanation missing.

fougerec

Thu 16 Jun 2022, 14:44

Page 143, Books, Ballads and Grimoires

In the "Type of Book" table, what does "gives d6 XP in a talent/skill" mean? That's the first time there's such a rule in FL. I feel like there's some explanation missing.
It's easy to infer that reading the book grants 1-6xp in the talent/skill (similar to how a Shooting Range function grants 1xp specifically to Marksmanship) but it should be clarified as to what exactly it means as well as how long it takes to read to get the benefit and whether or not a character can benefit from the book more than once.

oldgrumbler

Fri 17 Jun 2022, 00:04

On page 146 under the Magic Talent and Grimoire chart, the "Grimoire" entry for 54-56; Dream Magic, is missing.

JohnWithAgun

Sat 18 Jun 2022, 14:39

Concern:
The new alchemy talent/system. It seems very easy to make potions/elixirs that risk free achieve things normally only done with willpower or spells.

Suggestion:
Either up the herb cost a lot or ,better yet, redesign alchemy to tie into the new monster resource system.
Maybe a system for duplicating monster resource items. Example a successful alchemy test would turn one Basilisk eggs into two Basilisk potions (more with additional success).

Further suggestion:
Some resources are harvested by a specific class, often sorcerer. Replace this with alchemy talent, so all groups no matter class combination can gain the resource.

Fenhorn

Sat 18 Jun 2022, 18:12

Like what JohnWithAgun said, some potions should be much harder to make. The "longevity" potion for example could require the blood of a dying elf or something, otherwise it would be to easy.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Konungr

Tue 21 Jun 2022, 03:25

So, I was making a "healing potion" before this book by using Symbolism, Bind Magic, and Healing to make a magic item out of a small clay bottle. Then, once a day, you could fill the bottle with water with the activation method being drinking the water, to cast the healing spell on the user.

It's limited in use, expensive to make, and dangerous because of the mix and types of magic needed and the volume of WP and successes needed.

This alchemy health potion... it's too easy.

I am unlikely to use the alchemy rules as written.

pellejones

Tue 21 Jun 2022, 13:09

I created magical potions that the players could find, created by a powerful wizard or long dead alchemist. They all required strange ingredients like blood from children etc.

All of the always had a chance of danger when drinking them. They could easily do harm to the user it was random, you roll d6 or d12 where 1-2 is bad 3-4/3-9 does nothing or makes you drunk or just heals one point of strength, and 5-6 / 10-12 would heal you properly.

This balanced out the potion vs healing spells, as to not render the druids healing useless.

I have to agree that alchemy is too powerful.