Lormin
Topic Author

Re: 5e "more information will follow in the months to come" 16 months ago

Sat 18 Jun 2022, 19:13

I suspect FL wants to promote more than a AiME second edition handbook when that rolls around, especially if it’s crowdfunded.

Personal theory: The new AiME book will be announced alongside a Mines of Moria box set (or a campaign with a similar scope).
I think I heard from a video update that they won't do a Kickstarter, only a pre-order, which is quite sad because it means no goodies :(

gyrovague

Tue 28 Jun 2022, 01:11

It was speculated by the very best of the fan base that a fold out Balrog should be included - with optional wings.
Ha! I had forgotten about that. I think you are talking about my suggestion that they model it off the box that Chamucos tequila comes in.

Dunheved

Tue 28 Jun 2022, 10:13

Yes! That's exactly It!

Lormin
Topic Author

Tue 05 Jul 2022, 13:45

Following someone's suggestion here, I wrote FL some time ago asking for some confirmation or comment. They finally answered me by saying they got no info to share sadly. I was laso hoping there would be a youtube update at the end of last month (since the last one was in march) but we haven't got that either. I'm disheartened to be honest.

unknowable

Sat 16 Jul 2022, 17:53

If I were freeleague I would be waiting to see what 6e D&D was going to look like before committing that sort of work on a conversion.
If it is a very simple 5.5e and they know what areas are likely changing then it is less of a risk, if it has bigger shake ups like short rests being changed it could do more damage to the product's longterm sales than they would want.

I know people keep saying "it is just 5.5" because WotC have said "evolution" and "backwards compatible"... But they said 5e was backwards compatible with previous editions before it released and evolution doesn't have to mean small even if the statblocks for monsters / old adventures are still usable (just needs the math to roughly line up)

Lormin
Topic Author

Mon 18 Jul 2022, 17:10

If I were freeleague I would be waiting to see what 6e D&D was going to look like before committing that sort of work on a conversion.
If it is a very simple 5.5e and they know what areas are likely changing then it is less of a risk, if it has bigger shake ups like short rests being changed it could do more damage to the product's longterm sales than they would want.

I know people keep saying "it is just 5.5" because WotC have said "evolution" and "backwards compatible"... But they said 5e was backwards compatible with previous editions before it released and evolution doesn't have to mean small even if the statblocks for monsters / old adventures are still usable (just needs the math to roughly line up)
I agree entierly, but any kind of confirmation or official comment would be godsent, especially with us folks who have been waiting on it for more than a year.

Tomas
Site Admin

Mon 18 Jul 2022, 18:08

Hey everyone! Sorry for the lack of updates. The new 5E edition of TOR is still totally happening! It will be a pre-order, not a Kickstarter, and the plan is to launch is when the complete PDF for the book is done - which should be within a few weeks - so we can give pre-orderers access to the PDF immediately upon placing their order.
Fria Ligan

Rafamir

Tue 19 Jul 2022, 07:39

It does not get much more official than that. Thank you, Tomas.

Lormin
Topic Author

Tue 19 Jul 2022, 13:50

Thank you! Do you know if we could get some more details before the pre-order? Will Ruins of the Lost Realms/ Starter Set/etc also be "adapted"? Is it going to be comptaible with the previous iteration of AIME? Thanks!

timbolton

Tue 09 Aug 2022, 12:37

Announcement made yesterday (8 August 2022) as follows:

Free League Announces The Lord of the Rings™ Roleplaying For 5E
“This is the Master-ring, the One Ring to rule them all.”

The path to Middle-earth will soon open for new adventurers. We are thrilled to reveal that the acclaimed second edition of The One Ring™ roleplaying game is coming soon in a 5E adaptation, entitled The Lord of the Rings™ Roleplaying.

The new edition of The One Ring™ RPG, set in the world of The Lord of the Rings™ by J.R.R. Tolkien and designed by Francesco Nepitello and Marco Maggi, became the most successful tabletop roleplaying core game ever on Kickstarter when it ended March 4, 2021. Now the time has come to open Middle-earth for even more roleplayers with a brand new 5E adaptation.

The Lord of the Rings™ Roleplaying contains everything you need to create exciting 5E adventures set in the world’s most popular fantasy setting: six original heroic cultures from the land of Eriador, six new classes, a host of terrifying adversaries, and comprehensive rules for journeys, councils, wondrous artefacts, and the subtle magic of Middle-earth.

The Lord of the Rings™ Roleplaying core compendium will enter pre-order this fall, alongside a scenario module entitled Shire Adventures. A pre-order will give you immediate access to a full PDF of the products. The retail release of both is planned for Q1 2023.
Newsletter: https://us3.campaign-archive.com/?u=2dc ... 9fac1d9d53
FB: https://www.facebook.com/FreeLeaguePubl ... ejRdb9xBSl
Twitter: https://twitter.com/FreeLeaguePub/statu ... 8780826626
Last edited by timbolton on Tue 09 Aug 2022, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.
"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass."