Lormin
Topic Author

5e "more information will follow in the months to come" 16 months ago

Thu 09 Jun 2022, 20:54

I really wonder if AiME 2 happening or not? It's been so long and we never got any kind of preview or precise information beyond "it's coming" and "we are working on it". I think I remember last year they said to expect news about a pre-order during the summer. Could we at least get some official info on it, what and when-ish to expect it?

eternalsage

Re: 5e "more information will follow in the months to come" 16 months ago

Thu 09 Jun 2022, 21:17

It's hard to say. I doubt there is much to update since it will still be based on 5e for better or worse. I see it being more likely to be a rerelease (probably with different art) than an actual new version of the game. The fact that they just ported Symbarum to 5e tells me they have an interest in cashing in on the people who refuse to play anything else, so it wouldn't surprise me if something is in the works.
“It is useless to meet revenge with revenge; it will heal nothing.” - Frodo Baggins, Return of the King

Lormin
Topic Author

Thu 09 Jun 2022, 21:28

I see it being more likely to be a rerelease (probably with different art) than an actual new version of the game.
The thing is that they don't have rights to cubicle's work, so they can't rerelease anything. At minimum, they must do new classes/abilities/cultures, and I wouldn't be surprised if they also need to adapt the journey/council rules/etc to better fit TOR 2e ones.
people who refuse to play anything else
No reason to be disingenuous, everyone has different tastes. 5e isn't perfect, but TOR isn't for me.

Sebastian

Thu 09 Jun 2022, 21:39

There were some information about AiME in the Free League update. If I remember correctly, Tomas said, it is on a good way, but no release date yet.

Old material from C7 can’t be used for a new version, it has to be new text and new art, just like TOR.

Inculta

Sun 12 Jun 2022, 07:44

I like TOR2e more but I did play AiME and enjoyed it too, so I'm not saying this out of some kind of system elitism, but I don't think there'll be much for AiME besides a re-release. It's still very much playable and it's the same ruleset. At most I think FL might do what C7 did and convert new TOR2e supplements to AiME's ruleset, but so far AiME already has an Eriador book of its own. There's really not a ton that can be done with it except for re-releasing it so you can (legally) get it again. As others said too it's probably in a sort of "copyright hell" right now since FL may not have the rights to the product specifically, meaning they have to basically rewrite and redraw it from scratch for resale.

Otaku-sempai

Mon 13 Jun 2022, 16:16

I like TOR2e more but I did play AiME and enjoyed it too, so I'm not saying this out of some kind of system elitism, but I don't think there'll be much for AiME besides a re-release. It's still very much playable and it's the same ruleset. At most I think FL might do what C7 did and convert new TOR2e supplements to AiME's ruleset, but so far AiME already has an Eriador book of its own. There's really not a ton that can be done with it except for re-releasing it so you can (legally) get it again. As others said too it's probably in a sort of "copyright hell" right now since FL may not have the rights to the product specifically, meaning they have to basically rewrite and redraw it from scratch for resale.
TOR 1e also had a pair of Erebor supplements, but the TOR 2e Core Rules greatly expands on the setting. There's no reason why AiMe 2e can't do the same while incorporating Eriador as its main setting.
#FideltyToTolkien

Lormin
Topic Author

Tue 14 Jun 2022, 14:30

Considering FL probably want to sell their own content, and not C7, they would need to directly adapt their content to 5e instead of porting C7 work over. However, doing so they need to reinvent a new adaptation to 5e, they can legally take the same classes/abilities/cultures/feats over -- anyway a lot of it wouldn't make sense when adapted to the new mechanics of TOR2

In the end, any such information would be very welcome by the developers if they are indeed working on it.

Harlath

Tue 14 Jun 2022, 15:44

While AiME isn't my focus, I'd like fans of it to be happy!

Has anyone used their contact form and asked? I got swift and helpful answers on things like TOR 2e errata (an errata thread subsequently appeared!) and if they were still planning to release example treasure indexes.

Appreciate they might be a bit more tight lipped on this, but it might produce something useful? :)

Fanghawk

Fri 17 Jun 2022, 05:29

I suspect FL wants to promote more than a AiME second edition handbook when that rolls around, especially if it’s crowdfunded.

Personal theory: The new AiME book will be announced alongside a Mines of Moria box set (or a campaign with a similar scope).

Dunheved

Sat 18 Jun 2022, 01:17

Nice theory Fanghawk.

For old timer TOR1e types like me, people may remember one proposal from several years ago* was to have a dual system boxed set for Moria. It would have separate specific rulebooks for AiME and TOR included in the set as well as a third generic book which was applicable to both systems - i.e. maps, history, lore, genealogy.
It was speculated by the very best of the fan base that a fold out Balrog should be included - with optional wings.

* pre Free League. But Gareth Hanrahan was to be involved in this Cubicle 7 show stopper of a product IIRC.