SirMaoh
Topic Author

Salary for hypersleeping?

Tue 31 May 2022, 20:33

Hey everyone,

I've just got a quick question for campaign play. Does the crew get paid for being in hypersleep? Couldn't find anything about this :)

Angelman

Re: Salary for hypersleeping?

Tue 31 May 2022, 20:42

I assume that crews get payed for each haul, not on a hourly basis. Of course, there are probably several bonus situations, too, like extra long journeys and such.
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

SirMaoh
Topic Author

Tue 31 May 2022, 21:51

This makes a lot more sense to me too.

The question came up because page 162 lists salaries in a weekly basis. Maybe this only refers to the non-sleep phase of the crew?

_ArthurDallas_

Wed 01 Jun 2022, 16:08

I'm on the same page than Angelman.

You get paid for the "JOB". If PCs have to get to planet A (that's the job). And if they have to go to planet B before because MOTHER has found a SOS message (and in the contract all SOS should be investigated or end trip bonus removed) then it takes what it takes man we need to go. You could add some extra bonus for long hypersleep trip like over 10 days PCs get a bonus + add bonus for extra vehicular outing + dangerous zone passage (UPP border) + transport dangerous goods + get a bonus for a mission diversion (ship repair of other things).

We should have more information about this in the colonist book or the hauler book in the years to come.

SirMaoh
Topic Author

Fri 03 Jun 2022, 06:27

I‘ll handle it that way, it‘s a lot easier to manage too. Thanks a lot for your replies :)

williamwhtjr

Sat 16 Jul 2022, 02:02

The other posters are right. The definitive answer is that you get paid for Hypersleep as part of the Haul itself, which is actually remarked on in numerous Aliens Novels, but most notably Alan Dean Foster's Novel Adaption of Ridley Scott's Alien, wherein he actually introduces--I believe--the concept of being paid to Dream as well on such a Haul if one is skilled enough. However, usually it appears anyone making up a typical Long Haul 'Space Truckers' Crew will lack the complete package of requirements to be a Professionally Paid Dreamer. (See Foster's "Alien" for more details.)

Hope this helps! :)

ExileInParadise

Sat 16 Jul 2022, 05:09

PARKER: I wanna talk about the bonus situation.

BRETT: <mumble>You see Mr Parker and I think the shares have never been on an equitable level<mumble>

DALLAS: Well, you get what you contracted for, like everyone else ...

BRETT: <mumble>But everyone else, gets more than us.<mumble>

BRETT: That's why we get a half share to their one. Our time is their time, that's the way the see it
We live, as we dream -- alone. ~ Joseph Conrad

_ArthurDallas_

Thu 11 Aug 2022, 15:55

ahahahahah ! it is what it is man.