Lesten
Topic Author

Misty parts of the map

Wed 11 May 2022, 11:03

My players suddenly became curious about the cloudy/misty parts of the map. I can't remember reading anything about what's supposed to be there except that the northern mist part is the elven place (Stilldimman in Swedish, don't know what it's called in the English version). But there are four other misty regions - "Mistra pass" in the southwest, in the middle of the mountains just north of that, in the northwest and on the plains in the east near Falender.

I'm guessing it's a "it's up to you" situation, so I'm curious what other DMs have done.
Bloodmist? Impassable terrain? Just really thick eternal mist?

JohanR

Re: Misty parts of the map

Wed 11 May 2022, 12:46

Well, two are the Stillmist and Shadowgate Pass and two are unnamed. Since both the former could be considered "misty", I guess these could just as well just be misty areas.

I myself will likley use the misty area above Shadowgate Pass (~E72) as an extension of "The Vale of the Dead" (GMG 231).
And the top part (~I6) will likley just be misty, but will contain an entrance to The Winding Ways (TBR 6).

There could be reasons for why it is misty, perhaps Per Holmström's Vengeance of the Bog Wanderer or something could fit?

Edit: Well, there is also the area below Amber's Peak (~AG23). I thought of that as clouds.. but it should probably be considered as mist as well.. Perhaps I'll place an adventure like the Bog Wanderer there then.

Lesten
Topic Author

Fri 13 May 2022, 10:24

Sounds like a good idea to place Vale of the Dead in one of these areas, though I think I'll personally place it in the northern part (I6 area) because I want it to be remote and I have few other adventures sites in the north. Or maybe I'll place Quetzel's Tower there or in one of the other misty areas.
I'll have to check out the Bog Wanderer.

Mon 20 Jun 2022, 22:59

In the ~AG23 one, I'm placing The Dream-Cloud of E'lok Thir from The Mellified Mage. It seems to be such a fantastic adventure site (and opportunity to surface dark secrets) that I plan to give it an actual prominent geographical location on the map, where the ritual would be performed. Spending time in the mist/clouds without the ritual would give a few premonitions about the life of E'lok Thir.