PhilHendry
Topic Author

Another Stupid Question: Core Book Narrative Combat Example

Sat 07 May 2022, 15:12

On page 238 of the core book, there’s a combat example. One paragraph says the following:

“However, the first turn differs somewhat from those to come. Grumpa wields a weapon with the quality Long, which means that she first of all gets to make a Free Attack on the guard. The Game Master tells Grumpa's player to role a die against Accurate, modified by the opponents Defense which is +1. The player picks up a D20 and will try to get a result which is under or equal to 11 (Accurate 10, modified by the enemy's Defense +1). The player rolls 14: the guard deflects the staff with his shield and it hits the ground. Time for the adversary to retaliate!”

Is that correct or is there an error? It appears that the opponent’s Defense makes Grumpa’s attack roll easier rather than harder - or am I reading it wrong? Surely the opponent’s Defense should make the target number 9, rather than 11 - given that Grumpa is trying to roll under or equal?
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Fenhorn

Re: Another Stupid Question: Core Book Narrative Combat Example

Sat 07 May 2022, 15:46

I don't know the stats for these characters but this means that the guard have a Defense of 9 which is one less than 10 so it gives the player +1 to hit him. This is usually written as +1 for NPCs. So the guard is easier to hit thanks to his armour (the reason he has only 9) but the armour will reduce damage.

The game is player-faced so all the stats are written based on that the player is doing the rolling.

I'm not an expert in Symbaroum, though.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Falenthal

Sun 08 May 2022, 12:07

Exactly what Fenhorn says: as the enemies/NPCs stats are written from the perspective of the players, the pluses are not in benefit of said enemy/NPC, it is a benefit for the player.
Thus, a +1 Defense implies it is easier to hit that enemy than usual.

PhilHendry
Topic Author

Sun 08 May 2022, 17:16

Ok, thanks… It’s ever-so-slightly confusing - coming from more ‘conventional’ systems, in which you look at each combat from both sides, to one in which you see everything from the PC’s PoV. I like that aspect by the way - it makes the game much more ‘player-centric’ which strikes me as a good thing.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.