PhilHendry
Topic Author

Stupid question: Symbaroum or Ruins of Symbaroum?

Wed 04 May 2022, 15:49

Hi folks,

Supposing my group wanted a new RPG challenge, and liked the look of the Symbaroum setting. Which version - Symbaroum, or Ruins of Symbaroum - should we go for (and why?)?

We’re all (very) experienced gamers - a couple of us have played since original D&D was new; the others have all played for thirty years or more. D&D (5E)is familiar, and we enjoy it, though in its ‘straight’ form it’s far from our favourite system; having said that, we love ‘Adventures in Middle Earth’ - it is one of our favourite games. That suggests that, depending on how the adaptation of 5E to the setting is handled, we might well like it and, presumably, we wouldn’t find it difficult to get started.

But if Symbaroum (in its ‘native’ format) is a much better realisation of the setting, and of the players interacting with it, we might be prepared to out in the effort of learning a completely new system… At our age, not all of us relish learning new systems - it can be hard work!

Any thoughts, advice, eagerly sought! Thanks!
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Falenthal

Re: Stupid question: Symbaroum or Ruins of Symbaroum?

Wed 04 May 2022, 16:12

Absolutely no stupid question at all. In fact, given your background and "likes" as a group, it is a very interesting one.

As most of the time with questions, there's no correct answer. But, luckily for you, you have CHOICES :D

My first reaction would be: try them both, and decide for yourselves! Don't get stuck with your first answer to that question!

Symbaroum and Ruins of Symbaroum have both free quickstart PDFs, with a taste of the rules, pregenerated characters and a short adventure.
Surely, after reading through both documents, you will already have a first idea of rules and mechanics that seem fancy to you, or that don't appeal to your tastes. But give them both a try. Symbaroum's native system is very similar to D&D, but even easier and mechanics-light than it. So, you'll learn it fast. And as for Ruins, if you already know 5e, you'll only need to understand the small changes here and there made by Jacob Rodgers and you'll be good to go.

Keep an open mind and try them both. The worst thing that can happen, is that you like them both and can't decide on which one to choose!
But, either way, Corruption will take its toll and draw you into the depths of Davokar... Be sure about it.

Symbaroum: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/27 ... _purchased
Ruins of Symbaroum: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/31 ... mised-Land

PhilHendry
Topic Author

Wed 04 May 2022, 16:54

Thanks! Duly downloaded… The only problem is the Ruins QuickStart - which seems to come with about seven different versions(?) of what might be the same thing? Do we just go with the highest version number?
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Falenthal

Wed 04 May 2022, 17:10

Just download the highest number, yes.

It was first released as a Beta and the numerous feedback led to several changes until a final version was reached. Which became the Ruins of Symbaroum Core Book.

PhilHendry
Topic Author

Thu 05 May 2022, 13:34

Thanks!

I think we’re probably going to go with Symbaroum rather than Ruins… We realised that one of the main reasons we only ‘like’ 5E, but love AiME, is that AiME doesn’t use 5E’s magic system - which we find clunky in the extreme. 5E’s magic system might just spoil our enjoyment of the Symbaroum setting. And Symbaroum’s mechanics look elegant and simple, compared with 5E - which carries a lot of ancient ‘baggage’ along with it.

Falenthal

Thu 05 May 2022, 20:56

I really can't judge exactly both systems, as I've never played D&D in any version (only AD&D some time ago). But I find the Symbaroum rules absolutely easy to grasp and efficient enough to solve any situation without flipping through the book for obscure modifications and specific mechanics.

I know that Ruins also puts a lot of limits to spellcasting and tweaks the spells to fit the Symbaroum setting. But if you like the basic rules created for the game, then surely they are exactly what the setting demands of.

Kaybe

Mon 30 May 2022, 17:43

Thanks!

I think we’re probably going to go with Symbaroum rather than Ruins… We realised that one of the main reasons we only ‘like’ 5E, but love AiME, is that AiME doesn’t use 5E’s magic system - which we find clunky in the extreme. 5E’s magic system might just spoil our enjoyment of the Symbaroum setting. And Symbaroum’s mechanics look elegant and simple, compared with 5E - which carries a lot of ancient ‘baggage’ along with it.
Please note that Ruins does NOT use D&D's Vancian magic (spell slots per short/long rest) system. Instead, casting spells gives you temporary corruption that can turn into permanent corruption if you abuse it.

I'm also on the fence between the two. I'm a giant Free League fan boy and have collected almost all the Year Zero games as well as the three Stockholm Kartell games, but I have yet to buy into Symbaroum. The setting looks amazing, but I'm debating between OG and Ruins. From what I've *heard*, the original is suffering from system bloat where, much like in D&D 3.5, it's possible to create utterly broken characters. I also hear people who say they love the game *despite* the rules, lol.

zook

Tue 31 May 2022, 23:16

I personalny pick Ruins, only because my grup is familiar with D&D rules (no time wasted to relearn basic) but it's look like world hook in so maybe in some time we try also original ruleset.
For now there is some not-wheel-done thing in RoS. For example Troll singer class look like suicide. But IDK how it look in original game. Or crafting potions and artefact is misty described. I will say it should take some extra time in developing.

But overall I will not say it's bad product. It's great World with not bad mechanic so I don't regret buying RoS.

Kaybe

Thu 02 Jun 2022, 19:30

For now there is some not-wheel-done thing in RoS. For example Troll singer class look like suicide. But IDK how it look in original game. Or crafting potions and artefact is misty described. I will say it should take some extra time in developing.
I have a similar concern. I read some things that made me think some errata is badly needed and that maybe they should have waited just a little longer to do a last read-through. Guess we'll find out.

ShardCollector

Sat 04 Jun 2022, 08:51

Definitely Symbaroum.

It might look confusing at first, as each character used different attributes for attack based on their talents, but it is better suited for this type of game than D&D will ever be.

I would make one house rule though. No reaction attack (from skills like Polearm Master) should allow a free attack when you go over the pain threshold of the enemy. Otherwise it gets ridiculous really fast.

Good luck with the game and have fun!