Grimmshade

Re: Why Use The T2K Dice System?

Sat 07 May 2022, 14:45

I agree. A range of only 4 ratings doesn't leave much room, especially considering replicants.

paladin2019

Mon 09 May 2022, 05:14

ABCD eems right to me ;)

Grimmshade

Mon 09 May 2022, 12:01

ABCD eems right to me ;)

I can't argue with that!

Nerdwerfer

Fri 27 May 2022, 01:00

I've played Dungeon Crawl Classics for years, so dice chains are second nature to me.

baldrick0712

Fri 27 May 2022, 11:41

I agree. A range of only 4 ratings doesn't leave much room, especially considering replicants.
I can't remember where I saw it, maybe one of the YouTube interviews, but I think Replicants have special rules for Pushing that make it easier for them to Push a Roll.

Vagrant

Fri 27 May 2022, 12:19

I can't remember where I saw it, maybe one of the YouTube interviews, but I think Replicants have special rules for Pushing that make it easier for them to Push a Roll.
It was in Update #9 of the Kickstarter.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... date_share

Grimmshade

Sun 29 May 2022, 22:13

It was in Update #9 of the Kickstarter.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... date_share
That sounds cool!

aramis

Wed 06 Jul 2022, 04:45

Does anyone know why Blade Runner will use T2K's stepped dice system? With T2K, this is necessary due to the addition of ammo dice ... but unless there's some extra special dice added in, this feels like a huge step backwards for an investigative game. The beauty of all the other Year Zero games is that the system is very intuitive and easy to understand ... A +1 bonus means adding one D6. -1 is removing one D6. The whole mental math of taking, say, A D8 and a D10 and then realizing that a -2 means that the D10 becomes a D8, and then one of the D8s becomes a D6, is just adding mental crunch where there doesn't need to be.
Not official, but having run T2K 4E...

BR's a much streamlined version - only three difficulties, no dice shifts. Sorta Hard, Hard, and Really hard. (Advantage, Normal, and Disadvantage)
The baseline capabilities are also different, at least for PCs - All skills at D for BR PCs, only a handful in T2K.
Fewer, broader specialties in BR than in T2K..

It looks to be a very different experience, as in T2K, much of the slowdown in T2K 4e play was picking the right dice due to the list of mods. BR, Given you know which dice to roll the moment the skill is called for, and there's very little calculation...

Plus, while not mentioned, if you have 3 sets of the 4 sizes, one set being a different color, you can have your dice ready... old wargamer trick.... Big one and one of the small ones in the base color, the second small in the off color... - then when the GM OK's, on advantage, read them all, disad, read only the big one, normal read the color match. If all three are the same size, then on disad, read the alternate color..

(I had a bunch of 6mm d6's and a clear microcassette case sans tape. And as an avid SFB and Starfire player at the time, 5 rolls of 2d6 at a time... 2 red, 2 white, 2 blue, 2 green, 1 orange, 1 gray... put them in, tape it closed... for 1d throws, the orange then the gray, for 2d throws, the reds, then whites, then blues, then greens, then the orange and gray. For the rare 3d throws, orange+red, Gray + Blue. For 4d, Red+White, Blue+Green.. 5d, red+white+orange, blue+green+gray. And no running after dice rolling off the table. The cat did, however, like to play with the assembled box... it rattled in a pleasing manner...)

The rules differences will make a significant difference in feel, and the poly version is more consistent performance than the d6 dice pools. But it also hurts more when you do fail on a B&B ranked test... Without the stacking mods, tho', it's all about what you got, not what yuo can set up.
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...