Kaybe
Topic Author

Why Use The T2K Dice System?

Tue 03 May 2022, 22:34

From the Kickstarter:

As a core mechanic, you roll one die for your base attribute and one die for your skill. The more competent you are, the better the dice you get, from feeble D6s to extraordinary D12s. Any roll of 6+ on either die indicates a success, and multiple successes will trigger powerful bonus effects. Rolls can be pushed, i.e. re-rolled, with different effects depending on if you are human or Replicant.

Does anyone know why Blade Runner will use T2K's stepped dice system? With T2K, this is necessary due to the addition of ammo dice ... but unless there's some extra special dice added in, this feels like a huge step backwards for an investigative game. The beauty of all the other Year Zero games is that the system is very intuitive and easy to understand ... A +1 bonus means adding one D6. -1 is removing one D6. The whole mental math of taking, say, A D8 and a D10 and then realizing that a -2 means that the D10 becomes a D8, and then one of the D8s becomes a D6, is just adding mental crunch where there doesn't need to be.

Not to mention that D6s alone are really cheap and easy to acquire.

Free League, please explain why the T2K stepped dice mechanic is being used here?

Fenhorn

Re: Why Use The T2K Dice System?

Tue 03 May 2022, 23:23

Tomas said in an interview (forbes.com)
Due to the focus on investigations, moral choices, and character development,” said Härenstam,” we decided early on to have game mechanics that don't take up too much mind space or table space. That's the main reason for using a modified version of the Year Zero Engine with just two dice instead of the larger dice pools seen in other games. Overall, the mechanics are designed to blend into the background and support gameplay without requiring too much of the players' attention.
So that's why.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Grimmshade

Wed 04 May 2022, 05:07

Stepping up and down dice due to modifiers feels like it takes more brain power than adding or subtracting an extra d6, to me anyway. I would have preferred the Alien d6 system, but I'm sure the 2 dice system will still be fine.

Vader

Wed 04 May 2022, 08:14

...game mechanics that don't take up too much mind space...

With Grimmshade on this one. Seems to me that keeping track of and switching different dice types as and when would require more bandwidth than just adding or removing dice from a pool. Quite a bit more.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

Fenhorn

Wed 04 May 2022, 08:57

When we started to play T2K, the dice step system wasn't particularly smooth, but now it has began to flow better. My guess is also that BR will be much more light when it comes to the rules, compared to T2K, so most times you don't modify the dice at (all and you don't make that many skill rolls anyway).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Vader

Wed 04 May 2022, 09:04

When we started to play T2K, the dice step system wasn't particularly smooth, but now it has began to flow better. My guess is also that BR will be much more light when it comes to the rules, compared to T2K, so most times you don't modify the dice at (all and you don't make that many skill rolls anyway).

That, I can totally agree with. Do it enough times, and you'll have gotten used to it. Then, the fact that you handle just two instead of a fistful of dice has more impact.

It becomes more about the table than the mind space.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

Kaybe
Topic Author

Wed 04 May 2022, 14:38

These are my thoughts also. Plus, now that I'm thinking of it, if it's uses a stress die system similar to Alien RPG, it means adding a bunch of D6 to those two dice if your character is a massive stress bucket. I own and love a bunch of Alien RPG books and boxes, but haven't had a chance to play yet, so I don't know how it feels in practice.

baldrick0712

Wed 04 May 2022, 15:13

d12...d12
d12...d10
d10...d10
d10...d8
d8.....d8
d8.....d6
d6.....d6
d6

Just print this off and use it.

[EDIT] Ah! I prove your point lol. Needs to have also d12....d6, d12...d8 etc. Back to the drawing board!

Grimmshade

Wed 04 May 2022, 15:56

These are my thoughts also. Plus, now that I'm thinking of it, if it's uses a stress die system similar to Alien RPG, it means adding a bunch of D6 to those two dice if your character is a massive stress bucket. I own and love a bunch of Alien RPG books and boxes, but haven't had a chance to play yet, so I don't know how it feels in practice.
The dice pools can get pretty large in Alien, which I think adds to the player stress of the moment (seeing the panic potential in that large pool.) It works amazing for Alien, but I think the two dice system will possibly fit Blade Runner fine. Especially if it's less complex than T2K. I'm hoping for an Alien level complexity.
(As a side note, I'm intrigued by the mention of Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective as an inspiration for the mechanics.)

aramis

Sat 07 May 2022, 14:04

I do wish theyd gone for a d14 as well, to keep the 5 step granularity,,, but d14's are rather rare...

I'm only halfway joking... my group felt the ratings a bit compressed in T2K 4E. As a shorter campaign form, twern't a major issue. (The 155mm to the chest that ganked a PC... that was.)

Still, having only 4 steps feels cramped in T2K.
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...