miguelaco
Topic Author

Question about journey example in core rules

Tue 03 May 2022, 22:04

Sorry if it has been posted before, but I think the journey example in page 110 doesn't match the rules. There are at least two issues as I was trying to make my mind around Journeys:

1. Fatigue

The total fatigue doesn't add up. There are two events in the journey: Short cut (1 point of fatigue) and Mishap (2 points). The Mishap targeted the Hunter which fails the skill test, thus 1 point more for him (Folco). At journey end, Folco has 4 points and the rest of the company 3. They also have 4 mounts, one of them with vigour 2. If that mount's vigour is applied to Folco, he would have 2 points left and according to the sample log he has 3 points. If the mount with 2 points is applied to any other Hero, they would be at 1 point and they already have 2 each. And this is before taking into account the TRAVEL roll to further reduce the accumulated fatigue.

2. Journey length

Looking at the map in the log (and the Eriador map also), it seems there are 8 hexes from Weathertop to Fornost for 8 days of travel. Taking into account the Short cut (-1 day) and the failed Mishap (+1 day), it should stay at 8 days and not 7 days as declared in the sample journey log.

Am I interpreting something wrong with the rules?

Dunheved

Re: Question about journey example in core rules

Fri 06 May 2022, 08:30

Yes. It seems what you say above is correct.

It made me look again at result '10' Chance meeting. A Successful roll is zero Fatigue for everyone, not simply the target, I assume. The party all gain 1 Fatigue if the target roll fails, nor is there a chance meeting if they fail.