ckosacranoid
Topic Author

Armor stat

Sat 30 Apr 2022, 05:30

Quick and maybe I totally missed it somewhere in the rules.
But what does the armor stat in the weapon stat cards in the book mean I see some are one, others are 2 or 3 or a minus One?
So what I am mything in this?

Fenhorn

Re: Armor stat

Sat 30 Apr 2022, 07:04

Players Manual p.73
ARMOR MODIFIER: All weapons have an armor modifier which is applied to any armor level before determining penetration. The armor modifier is not applied if the target has no armor at all.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

baldrick0712

Sat 30 Apr 2022, 15:41

Another aspect of what Armour Modifiers are for is the rule about "Penetration Limit" (PM p73). Without the armour modifier you would be able to shoot through brick walls with a 9mm pistol if you rolled enough successes. The armour modifier of the pistol raises the effective armour of the obstacle so that it completely stops all 9mm rounds regardless of how many successes you roll.

Evocatus

Fri 03 Jun 2022, 01:12

Dropping a question in here since it pertains to armor. Wondering if I understand how armor, firearm armor mods, and penetration interact.

Say a PC is in a standard action movie car chase/shootout, firing a pistol (M9, +1 armor mod) at a 2WD Car (armor value of 1 for all sides). Am I correct in saying that modified armor is now 2 vs. a standard M9 damage of 1 (notwithstanding a stellar roll of base and ammo dice)?

So, PC fires and assuming one success, i.e. only one die comes up 6+, a hit, but M9 damage (1) is not enough to penetrate the modified 2WD armor of 2, correct? End result, no armor penetration, but PC should still roll on the No Penetration column of the Component Damage table (pg. 84)?

Fenhorn

Fri 03 Jun 2022, 01:21

Yes with an M9 you need to roll get the damage up to 3 (or more) to penetrate the car because of the poor armour penetration of the M9. But if you don't get 3+ damage you can always hope to hit the wheels.

Evocatus

Fri 03 Jun 2022, 02:02

Yes with an M9 you need to roll get the damage up to 3 (or more) to penetrate the car because of the poor armour penetration of the M9. But if you don't get 3+ damage you can always hope to hit the wheels.
Awesome. Thanks, @Fenhorn.

Evocatus

Fri 03 Jun 2022, 19:14

Since we're chatting modifiers, am I also correct in stating that the various modifiers in play in the above car chase sequence (for ease, say daylight and fair weather) are:

-1 for NPC moving target
-2 for PC's vehicle movement
+2 for large target

So, net -1 mod? A called shot on the vehicle would be an additional -2?

Fenhorn

Fri 03 Jun 2022, 19:46

Since we're chatting modifiers, am I also correct in stating that the various modifiers in play in the above car chase sequence (for ease, say daylight and fair weather) are:

-1 for NPC moving target
+2 for large target

Yes

baldrick0712

Fri 03 Jun 2022, 20:00

-1 for NPC moving target
+2 for large target

As a suggestion (which isn't really in the RAW) you might consider treating the passengers as being in "partial cover". In other words, you can see their head/arms through the rear windshield and can aim at them, assuming no bullet-proof glass. Then it would be a net -3 modifier and, if successful, a roll on the hit-location table with head/arms being unprotected and torso/legs having Armour 1.

Heffe

Fri 03 Jun 2022, 21:35

I think in that instance it might actually be a -5 modifier, as you'd lose the +2 mod from firing at a large target. Essentially it would be a -5 against a target in partial.