Grimmshade
Topic Author

Alien: Colony War

Wed 27 Apr 2022, 03:09

The new novel from Titan, Alien: Colony War, crosses over with the RPG fiction, and also contains a tie-in adventure for the RPG! It's out now, I just received my copy.

Angelman

Re: Alien: Colony War

Wed 27 Apr 2022, 16:38

As an Agent of the Free League, I've had the pleasure of running the scenario -- Fallout -- already, at promo events. It was a bit of a challenge as I hadn't read the novel yet, (the Agent initiative started back in March), but I had a lot of fun with it :)

I'm looking forward to reading the novel, too.
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

SamuelBrett

Sun 10 Jul 2022, 04:00

It was a fun surprise to me to find this novel as well as Charybdis had RPG scenarios tucked away in the back, and the next novel (forgot the title) will as well. Very cool.

Angelman

Sun 10 Jul 2022, 14:10

fun surprise ... to find ... Charybdis had RPG scenarios tucked away in the back
Really? I wasn't aware that Into Charybdis had a scenario. What is it called?

Unfortunately, after having actuallyt read the Alien: Colony War book, it turns out that the Fallout scenario has a few issues. The map, for one, is not accurate. There's a whole hangar missing (twice in the book a character goes through the hangar to reach the landing pad), the comms tower is wrongly placed (described in the book as standing directly over the landing pad but in the map it's 150-200 meters away), and the canteen is wrongly placed (in the book you exit the doors and go right to reach the Garage Bay while in the map you go left). There are a few other things, beside, but if that stuff doesn't bother you, I think you'll have a fun time with Fallout - I certainly have :)
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

Grimmshade
Topic Author

Sun 10 Jul 2022, 19:13

I don't think Charybdis does. I've read all the new novels and Colony War is the only one to have one so far.

Colony War is so bad that I'm fine with the adventure not lining up perfectly with the story. (good spotting those errors though Angelman!)

Angelman

Sun 10 Jul 2022, 20:12

Colony War is so bad that I'm fine with the adventure not lining up perfectly with the story. (good spotting those errors though Angelman!)
Actually, I was going to stay nice and not say anything about that, but... yes... the book was pretty *coughs*.
The self-loathing British author writing a Brit-slamming satire thing was hillarious, though. The best thing about the book, if you ask me.
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

Grimmshade
Topic Author

Mon 11 Jul 2022, 02:40

Actually, I was going to stay nice and not say anything about that, but... yes... the book was pretty *coughs*.
The self-loathing British author writing a Brit-slamming satire thing was hillarious, though. The best thing about the book, if you ask me.
True!
What really stinks is that now this really not great book is part of the ongoing meta-story canon of the current run of fiction.
The dude wrote the least scary Xenomorphs I've ever read. They were basically no real threat.

Angelman

Mon 11 Jul 2022, 16:59

The dude wrote the least scary Xenomorphs I've ever read. They were basically no real threat.
Also weird how people took the time to have lengthy conversations and flashback reminiscences in the middle of xeno swarm attacks, and the like. So, full disclosure, I'm trying to be an author and I take all these courses and whatnot, and Alien: Colony War basically made every error immaginable; all the don'ts and none of the dos. Lesson nr.1 = don't torpedo the suspence in your horror/action piece!
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

Grimmshade
Topic Author

Mon 11 Jul 2022, 18:09

Also weird how people took the time to have lengthy conversations and flashback reminiscences in the middle of xeno swarm attacks, and the like. So, full disclosure, I'm trying to be an author and I take all these courses and whatnot, and Alien: Colony War basically made every error immaginable; all the don'ts and none of the dos. Lesson nr.1 = don't torpedo the suspence in your horror/action piece!
This 100%!
There is zero suspense! And the big "surprise twist" was evident from early on.

SamuelBrett

Sat 23 Jul 2022, 05:10

fun surprise ... to find ... Charybdis had RPG scenarios tucked away in the back
Really? I wasn't aware that Into Charybdis had a scenario. What is it called?
I must have been thinking of something else. I could have sworn it had one but I just checked and Into Charybdis definitely does not have a scenario at the back. Sorry about that.