gyrovague

Re: Ruins of the Lost Realm Beta PDF Feedback

Tue 26 Apr 2022, 02:37

Minor Lore typo, apologies if this is nitpicky

Chapter 1 page 8
..."Two mighty towers guard it, made of the same imperishable stone as the walls of Orthanc."...
The ring wall of the fortress was torn down by the Ents after the Battle of Isengard, but the tower or Orthanc was unable to be destroyed. First impression of reading it "walls of Orthanc" makes one think of the outer ring wall, not the central tower of black stone. Depending on what it is referring to, the could sentence be rephrased to.

"Two mighty towers guard it, made of the same imperishable stone as the tower of Orthanc."
or
"Two mighty towers guard it, made of the same living stone (or) dark stone as the ring wall of Orthanc."
I was confused by this as well. I was expecting to find two untouched, flawless towers on either end of the bridge. Very odd.

Stubbazubba

Tue 26 Apr 2022, 06:49

p. 24: "Now, secret paths known only to friends of the Dwarves led through the thick forests to the Stone of Fire, and seven gatehouses and guard towers watch the road that leads up the hill." Should be "lead," as the rest of the sentence is clearly in present tense (especially with "Now," at the beginning).

- Page 25, Lord Mjolin, Master of Harmelt. "Without gold, Harmelt will dwindle, and the family lose its place of prestige among the Dwarves of the Ered Luin." I think it's "will lose".
It's correct either way. You don't have to repeat the same modal verb in a list, even if the subject and verb otherwise change. E.g., "The world of men will fall, and all will come to darkness, and my city will come to ruin."

SwissToni

Tue 26 Apr 2022, 17:56

Hi

On pages 38 and 39 "Dark Designs of the Black Numenoreans" there are numbers in all of the subtitles. Looks like your internal referencing, which should be deleted.

Same on page 43 "Dark Designs of Isengard".

Same on pages 47 and 48 "Dark Designs of the Dunlendings".

Ian

miguelaco

Tue 26 Apr 2022, 19:08

Hi

On pages 38 and 39 "Dark Designs of the Black Numenoreans" there are numbers in all of the subtitles. Looks like your internal referencing, which should be deleted.

Ian
I think those numbers refer to the year (Third Age) that the events are suggested to take place.

Stubbazubba

Wed 27 Apr 2022, 06:21

Page 39, 2975: Honour Among Thieves: "There is bloodshed on the streets of Tharbad." Should be "...bloodshed in the streets..."

Objects may be on a street, but activities are in the streets, e.g. dancing in the streets, celebration in the streets, etc.

Elod_ChildofDust

Wed 27 Apr 2022, 23:58

Chapter 3, page 60: lore typo concerning Braswen the Custodian
( . . . ) she fled the distruction of Beleriad, and fought with Gil-galad against Angmar in many battles.
Angmar wasn't founded until about 1300 years after the death of Gil-galad. Braswen would have had to either fight with Gil-galad in the War of Elves and Sauron or against Angmar under a different elf lord.

Elod_ChildofDust

Thu 28 Apr 2022, 00:02

Minor Lore typo, apologies if this is nitpicky

Chapter 1 page 8
..."Two mighty towers guard it, made of the same imperishable stone as the walls of Orthanc."...
The ring wall of the fortress was torn down by the Ents after the Battle of Isengard, but the tower or Orthanc was unable to be destroyed. First impression of reading it "walls of Orthanc" makes one think of the outer ring wall, not the central tower of black stone. Depending on what it is referring to, the could sentence be rephrased to.

"Two mighty towers guard it, made of the same imperishable stone as the tower of Orthanc."
or
"Two mighty towers guard it, made of the same living stone (or) dark stone as the ring wall of Orthanc."
After further reading in the Beta about the utter disrepair and damage of both the bridge towers (especially how the North one sways "alarmingly in high winds") I think the passage is meant to refer to Isengard's ring wall.

gyrovague

Thu 28 Apr 2022, 00:31

After further reading in the Beta about the utter disrepair and damage of both the bridge towers (especially how the North one sways "alarmingly in high winds") I think the passage is meant to refer to Isengard's ring wall.
Which would be kind of weird, because I don't recall the stone of the ring wall being distinctive or noteworthy.

9littlebees

Mon 02 May 2022, 01:00

Hi

Ian
I think those numbers refer to the year (Third Age) that the events are suggested to take place.
Indeed, on page 32, the Dark Designs passages are clarified as being "in a chronological ‘Tale of Years’ format."

Inculta

Mon 02 May 2022, 07:18

Loving the book so far. Noticed what might be a small lore typo on page 7 (11 of the PDF.)
The west coast of Middle-earth is steep and stony, with few good places to land — for twice the world has been utterly changed, westerly lands drowned by the wrath of the Valar, and now waves crash against rocks that once stood far inland.
If this is referring to the War of Wrath and not the Downfall of Numenor, it's not solely the Valar that sank Beleriand. Details on it aren't very specific, but it's implied to have been because of the massive power being exchanged by both sides, so both Melkor and the Valar were responsible. "drowned during the War of Wrath" might be better.